Union Budget 2018: The List Of Items With Changes In Custom Duty
Be ready to pay more for imported mobile phones, cars, perfumes, sunglasses, your favourite morning fruit juice and more as the government increased the customs duty on a range of items to promote Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Make in India’ initiative.
“I am making a calibrated departure of the underlying trend to reduce the customs duty...,” Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said in his Union Budget speech. “To further incentivise value-addition and 'Make in India' in these sectors, I propose to increase the customs duty in certain items.”
The government proposed to reduce the customs duty on inputs and raw materials like solar tempered glass and certain medical devices to reduce costs.
Here is the full list of the changes made in customs duty:
- Orange fruit juice: 35 percent (30 percent earlier).
- Other fruits and vegetables: 50 percent (30 percent).
- Cranberry juice: 50 percent (10 percent).
- Miscellaneous food preparations (other than soya): 50 percent (30 percent).
Perfumes And Toiletry
- Perfumes and toilet waters: 20 percent (10 percent earlier).
- Beauty and skin care preparations: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Preparations for use on hair: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Preparations for oral or dental hygiene: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Shaving/after-shave preparations, deodorants: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Scents sprays and similar toilets sprays and mounts and heads; powder-puffs and pads for the application of cosmetic or toilet preparations: 20 percent (10 percent).
Automobiles And Auto Parts
- Specified parts/accessories: 15 percent (7.5-10 percent earlier).
- Completely knocked-down imports: 15 percent (10 percent)
- Completely build units of motor vehicles: 25 percent (20 percent)
- Truck and bus radial tyres: 15 percent (10 percent)
- Silk Fabric: 20 percent (10 percent earlier).
- Footwear: 20 percent (10 percent earlier).
- Footwear parts: 15 percent (10 percent).
Also Read: India Budget 2018: Winners and Losers
Diamonds, Precious Stones And Jewellery
- Cut and polished coloured gemstones: 5 percent (2.5 percent earlier).
- Lab grown, semi-processed, half-cut or broken diamonds: 5 percent (2.5 percent).
- Imitation jewellery: 20 percent (15 percent).
Electronics And Hardware
- Mobile phones: 20 percent (15 percent earlier).
- Mobile phone parts and accessories: 15 percent (7.5-10 percent).
- Printed circuit boards assembly and moulded plastics of mobile phone. charger/adapter: 10 percent (Nil).
- Inputs/parts to make PCBAs, moulded plastics: Exempt now.
- Smart watches/wearables: 20 percent (10 percent).
- LCD/LED/OLED panels and other parts: 15 percent (7.5-10 percent).
- 12 specified parts for LCD/LED TV panels: Introduced 10 percent.
- Preform of silica used to make telecom-grade optical fibre/cable: Introduced 5 percent.
- Seats and parts (except aircraft seats/parts): 20 percent (10 percent earlier).
- Other furniture and parts: 20 percent (10 percent)
- Mattresses supports, articles of bedding and similar furnishing: 20 percent (10 percent)
- Lamps and illuminated signs, name plates, etc: 20 percent (10 percent).
Watches And Clocks
- Wrist, pocket and other watches: 20 percent (10 percent earlier).
- Clocks with watch movements: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Other clocks, including alarm clocks: 20 percent (10 percent).
Also Read: Union Budget 2018: Key Highlights
Toys And Games
- Tricycles, scooters, pedal cars and similar wheeled toys; dolls’ carriages other toys, puzzles of all kinds: 20 percent (10 percent earlier).
- Video game consoles/machines, articles for funfair, table or parlor games and automatic bowling alley equipment: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Festive, carnival or other entertainment articles: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Article and equipment for sports or outdoor games, swimming pools and paddling pools; fish landing nets, butterfly nets and similar nets, decoy birds and similar hunting and shooting requisites: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Roundabouts, swings, shooting galleries and other fair-ground amusements: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Candles, tapers and the like: 25 percent (10 percent earlier).
- Kites: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Sunglasses: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Date, sealing or numbering stamps, and the like: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Cigarette lighters and other lighters, their parts other than flints and wicks: 20 percent (10 percent).
- Solar tempered glass for manufacture of solar cells/panels/modules: Exempt now (5 percent earlier).
- Raw materials, parts or accessories for making cochlear implants: Exempt now (2.5 percent).
- Cashew nuts in shell (raw cashew): 2.5 percent (5 percent).
Edible Vegetable Oils
- Crude edible vegetable oils like groudnut, olive, cotton seed, safflower seed, Saffola, coconut, palm kernel/babassu, linseed, maize cord, castor and sesame, and other fixed vegetable fats: 30 percent (12.5 percent earlier).
- Refined edible vegetable oils of the same kind: 35 percent (20 percent).
- Articles of stone containing magnesite, dolomite or chromite: 7.5 percent (10 percent earlier).
- Bricks, blocks, tiles and other ceramic goods of siliceous fossil meals or of similar siliceous earths: 7.5 percent (5 percent).
- Other refractory ceramic goods: 7.5 percent (5 percent).
Watch this interview with Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu on the rationale behind the customs duty hike.