Amazon at $1 Trillion Pushes Bezos’s 2018 Gain to $67 Billion
(Bloomberg) -- Amazon.com Inc. briefly became America’s second trillion-dollar company on Tuesday after adding $434 billion to its market cap this year.
No one has benefited more than founder Jeff Bezos, who has added $67 billion to his fortune this year, giving him a $167 billion net worth on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index as of 12:30 p.m. in New York on Tuesday.
Here are six ways to put that $67 billion gain into context:
- It’s more than the entire market capitalization of FedEx Corp.
- Bezos’s gain this year alone would make him the seventh-richest person on Earth, ahead of Mexico’s Carlos Slim and Alphabet Inc.’s Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
- It’s about the equivalent of Walt Disney Co.’s blockbuster bid for most of the assets of 21st Century Fox Inc.
- His wealth has increased by an average of about $8 million an hour in 2018.
- It’s roughly 10 times Amazon’s total net income since it went public in 1997.
- The 499 other billionaires on the Bloomberg ranking have added a net combined $8.3 billion to their fortunes this year.
©2018 Bloomberg L.P.