Apple’s iPhone X To Set You Back By $999
Highlights from Apple's Big Day
Media leaks can really spoil the party, as was evident at Apple's keynote. All new announcements had been already leaked a few days ahead of the event. As it turned out, Apple had no surprises for us at all. Here are the key takeaways:
- A new flagship iPhone X was announced featuring an edge-to-edge display and facial recognition for security. And after the headphone jack, this time home was given a miss. The iPhone X starts at $999.
- Two new iPhones, the 8 and the 8 plus were announced. The design is nearly identical to the previous iPhone, but internals have been amped up. The new A11 bionic chip, which is also on the iPhone X, is 70 percent faster and can perform 600 billion operations in a second, Apple said, iPhone 8 starts at $699 while the iPhone 8 Plus starts at $799.
- Apple Watch series 3 was announced with increased focus on health and fitness tracking. The watch now supports LTE, has Siri, and can let you stream songs directly without having to carry an iPhone along. Starts at $399.
- Apple also hopped on to the wireless charging bandwagon. It announced Apple Power, which is essentially a wireless charging mat, for all Apple devices. However, it'll be available only from 2018.
- The Apple TV was upgraded and now will feature 4K and HDR. It can also double up as a gaming platform. Starts at $179
The Cupertino-California based company rechristened its retail stores as Apple Town Square, aiming to make them more airy and open to sunlight. The technology major also provided a sneak peek into their new campus, called the Apple Park. The event was the first at the Steve Jobs Theatre at the new ‘spaceship’ campus.
Interestingly, shares of Apple in the U.S. started to rise as Tim Cook announced the Apple Watch. However, they were trading lower by the end of the event. Investors unimpressed? So were we, but perhaps due to the leaks.
That's a wrap. Goodnight!
Will You Buy The iPhone X?
Wireless Charging Is Here
Wireless charging is coming to Apple phones. The new iPhones will use the Qi open wireless standard. Many stores and cars have these charging hubs already built in.
Apple has announced its own wireless charging mat called AirPower which can charge all of its devices, including the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, AirPods, and Apple Watch. It will be available from 2018.
iPhone X To Be Available From November
iPhone X will be available in 64GB and 256GB variants, starting at $999. Pre-orders will begin on October 22 and it will be available from November 3.
Apple shares are trading 0.8 percent lower now following their big reveal of the iPhone X.