10 IPL Finals So Far: Top-Scorer, Wicket-Taker and Other Big Stats
The 51-day long T20 carnival has finally reached its climax as two-time champions Chennai Super Kings (CSK) take on Sunrisers Hyderabad in the summit clash of the 11th season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) at the Wankhede stadium on Sunday night.
While Chennai made the final beating Hyderabad by two wickets in Qualifier 1 on Tuesday, Hyderabad had to go through the second Qualifier on Friday where they beat KKR.
With the likes of Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Rashid Khan and Siddarth Kaul, the orange army boasts of a superb bowling attack whereas the yellow brigade is full of star-studded batting line-up comprising Shane Watson, skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Ambati Rayudu, Suresh Raina and others.
Below are some interesting stats from previous seasons’ finals.
(For complete IPL coverage, click here to visit our IPL website)
- Chennai Super Kings have made the most appearances in IPL Finals. Sunday’s game against Sunrisers Hyderabad will be the 7th time they will fight for the title.
- MS Dhoni has appeared in the most IPL Finals - 7. He captained Chennai Super Kings in 6 Finals and was part of Rising Pune Supergiant who competed in the 2017 Final.
- 7 of the 10 IPL Finals played so far have been won by the team batting first.
- Suresh Raina has scored the most runs in IPL Finals. In 6 Finals, he has scored 209 runs at an average of 41.80.
- Dwayne Bravo has taken the most wickets in IPL Finals. In 4 Finals, he has taken 8 wickets at an average of 17.75.
- Suresh Raina was the top-scorer in 3 of CSK's 6 Finals. He scored 43 in the 2008 Final, made 57* in the 2010 Final and made 73 in the 2012 summit clash
- The Wankhede Stadium will be the 7th venue to host an IPL Final. Earlier, the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai hosted the IPL Final in 2008 & 2010.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad have a 1-4 win-loss record at the Wankhede Stadium, the venue of Sunday’s final. Their only win was when they defended 118 against Mumbai Indians earlier this season.
- Chennai and Hyderabad have met each other thrice in the ongoing season and Dhoni’s CSK hold a 3-0 record over their southern neighbors.
- The team that ended the league season in 2nd position has gone on to win the IPL title 5 times in the 10 seasons so far. This season, CSK finished second behind SRH after all teams had played their 14 games of the league stage.
- The table-topper at the end of the regular league season has won the IPL title twice in 10 seasons so far; RR won in 2008 & MI won in 2017.
- The Chennai Super Kings captain MS Dhoni has won 10 tosses in 15 matches in IPL 2018.
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.)