‘He Is Destroying His Legacy:’ Read Highlights From the Text Messages to Mark Meadows
(Bloomberg) -- Mark Meadows’s text messages from Jan. 6 made an explosive appearance in Congress even as he refuses to testify about the events of that day.
Representative Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Republican who is vice chair of the committee investigating the insurrection at the Capitol, read a selection of texts from Meadows’s phone just before the panel voted unanimously to recommend that the U.S. House hold former President Donald Trump’s last White House chief of staff in criminal contempt. The recommendation now goes to the full house for a vote, scheduled for Tuesday.
Here are the messages Cheney read, highlights from among dozens of notes from senders ranging from members of Trump's inner circle, his son, Donald Trump Jr., Fox News hosts and unnamed members of Congress:
From Fox News Hosts
- Laura Ingraham: “Hey Mark, the president needs to tell people in the Capitol to go home...this is hurting all of us...he is destroying his legacy.”
- Brian Kilmeade: “Please get him on tv. Destroying everything you have accomplished.”
- Sean Hannity: “Can he make a statement?...Ask people to leave the Capitol.”
From Don Jr.
- Trump Jr.” “He's got to condemn this s*** Asap. The Capitol Police tweet is not enough.”
- Meadows: "I'm pushing it hard. I agree.”
- Trump Jr.: “We need an Oval address. He has to lead now. It has gone too far and gotten out of hand.”
From the Congressmembers and Others at the Capitol
- “Hey, Mark, protestors are literally storming the Capitol. Breaking windows on doors. Rushing in. Is Trump going to say something?”
- “We are under siege up here at the Capitol.”
- “They have breached the Capitol.”
- “There's an armed standoff at the House Chamber door.”
- “We are all helpless.”
Messages Urging Action by Trump from Administration Members and Others
- “POTUS has to come out firmly and tell protestors to dissipate. Someone is going to get killed”
- “Mark, he needs to stop this. Now”
- “TELL THEM TO GO HOME”
- “POTUS needs to calm this s*** down.”
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.