Qaddafi Son Wins Appeal to Rejoin Libyan Presidential Race
(Bloomberg) -- A Libyan court upheld an appeal filed by a son of former strongman Moammar Al Qaddafi against his exclusion as a presidential candidate, Libyan media reported Thursday.
The ruling potentially reinstates Saif al-Islam Qaddafi in the electoral race slated to be held on Dec. 24, Libya al-Ahrar and other outlets said. That could mean a showdown at the ballot box involving eastern military commander Khalifa Haftar and interim Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah among others.
Qaddafi, 49, whose father ruled the North African nation for four decades until he was killed in a 2011 NATO-backed uprising, electrified the election proceedings in November when he appeared after years in seclusion to register his candidacy. Electoral authorities later said he was barred due to a 2015 conviction for his role in the killing of protesters, prompting the legal appeal. He’s also wanted by the International Criminal Court.
Dbeibah, who’s been serving as premier since earlier this year, also overcame a legal challenge to his candidacy on Wednesday. The elections commission is due to announce the final list of presidential candidates on Dec. 7.
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.