Donald Trump India Visit Updates: Trump Says U.S.-India Trade Deal ‘Could’ Happen By End Of 2020
Trump Addresses Media As India Visit Draws To A Close
U.S. President Trump addressed a press gathering as his two-day visit to the country concluded. He spoke on various issues ranging from the controversial citizenship law to giving a timeline for the U.S.-India trade deal.
U.S.-India Trade Deal
- India has one of the highest tariffs in the world.
- I said we have to stop the high tariffs, at least when it pertains to the U.S.
- At least, we are understanding each other, unlike the case with China.
- The U.S. is being charged a large amount of tariffs, that can't happen; ‘working it out' with India on tariffs.
- It has to be reciprocal; the U.S. has to be treated fairly, India understands that.
- U.S.-India trade deficit has come down, but it should come down further.
- The trade deal, if it happens, could happen at the end of the year.
On The Visit
- India a tremendous country and a tremendous market.
- Have a great relationship with the prime minister.
- Had great meetings during the India visit.
- A lot of talent and money being put to tackle the coronavirus crisis.
- India would like to see the Afghan peace deal happen.
- The U.S. has been in Afghanistan in 19 years; we want to bring our soldiers back home.
- The U.S. is not a police force, the Afghans will have to police themselves.
- It's a very difficult & dangerous part of the world.
On Citizenship Amendment Act Protests
- Discussed religious freedom with Prime Minister Modi.
- Prime Minister Modi wants Indians to have religious freedom.
- Relative to other places, India has worked really hard on religious freedom.
- Didn't discuss recent violence in New Delhi with Modi.
- Also, discussed with PM Modi hate crimes against Muslims in India and religious liberties with PM Modi for a long time.
On Jammu & Kashmir
- Have a very good relationship with Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan.
- Will do whatever I have to do since my relationship with both leaders is good.
- Anything I can do to mediate on Kashmir, I'll do.
- Kashmir has been a thorn in a lot of peoples sides for very long.
- There are two sides to every story, but they've worked really hard on the issue.
India's Foreign Secretary Briefs Media
The issue of Citizenship Act did not arise in meeting with Trump, said India’s Foreign Secretary HV Shringla in a press briefing at New Delhi.
- India shared with the U.S. positive developments in Jammu & Kashmir.
- India, U.S. reached "certain understanding" on trade issues.
Watch: Trump Addresses India's Business Leaders
Trump to Tata Group’s N Chandrasekaran
- Governments are not equipped to skill workers, companies will be better equipped to do it.
Trump To Jubliant Bhartia Group’s Hari Bhartia
- Health care is very important to the Republican Party; want to terminate Obamacare & put in great health care.
Trump To Reliance Industries’ Mukesh Ambani
- If the wrong person gets elected, more regulations may not get cut.
- U.S. economy is being held back because we have an election coming up.
Trump To Aditya Birla Group’s Kumar Mangalam Birla
- If I hadn't been elected the aluminium & steel business in the U.S. would be dead.
- The aluminium business has made a big comeback in the U.S.
Trump To Infosys’ Salil Parekh
- Companies are now allowed to bring money back into the U.S.
Trump To ArcelorMittal’s Lakshmi Mittal
- I'm a big believer in the environment and want to take care of it.
- Earlier regimes were using environmental laws to stop projects.
- You need steel probably more than anything else.
- Heard your company is setting up a plant in the state of Alabama in the U.S.
- Will be announcing a tax cut for middle-income people fairly soon.
- Tax cuts will put a lot of money in the hands of consumers
- You (India Inc.) have a very special prime minister, he's (Narendra Modi) done a fantastic job
- When we win re-election, the markets are going to go up like a rocket ship.
- We will win the election, because of what we've done for the economy, health care, military.
- Indian companies are in the U.S. because of the tax cuts and the reduction in regulations.
- Regulations were strangling businesses, and out of control.
- If I don't win, you are going to see a market crash like never before.
U.S. Exports To India Has Grown 60% Since I Took Office: Trump
Key Highlights From Trump’s Address
- India agreed to purchase $3 billion worth advanced military equipment including Apache, MH 60 Romeo helicopters.
- Affirmed commitment to protect countries from terrorism; revitalising QUAD initiative with U.S., India, Australia & Japan.
- Discussed importance of secure 5G network; 5G should not be a conduit of oppression, censorship.
- Infrastructure of the future should be built in a transparent manner.
- Since I took office, U.S. exports to India have increased 60 percent and exports of U.S. energy to India has grown five times.
On Trade Deal:
- Teams have made tremendous progress on a trade agreement.
- Optimistic that a trade deal can be reached.
Modi-Trump Joint Press Briefing
Have Agreed To Negotiate On A ‘Big Trade Deal’, Says Modi
Narendra Modi Says:
- Indo-U.S. relationship not just between two governments, but between the people of the two nations.
- India -U.S. relationship will now be a comprehensive, strategic partnership.
- Both countries want fair & balanced trade; U.S. firms supply India $20 billion worth of oil & gas.
- In the last 4-5 years, just four sectors: energy, civil aircraft, defence & higher education, have contributed $70 billion to Indo-U.S. trade.
- Our commerce ministries have reached an understanding, our teams will now give it legal shape.
- We have agreed to start negotiations on a big trade deal.