#MeToo: Despite Multiple Allegations, MJ Akbar Refuses to Resign
More than half a dozen women journalists have accused MJ Akbar of sexual harassment and inappropriate behaviour at various stages of his journalistic career, during which he launched and edited several newspapers.
- Amit Shah had earlier said the multiple accusations of sexual assault against MJ Akbar needed to be “looked into”
- Union Minister Smriti Irani had said that justice should be done for the women who have spoken up
- Congress party has demanded Akbar’s resignation over the sexual harassment allegations
- MJ Akbar has been the editor of leading newspapers like ‘The Telegraph’, ‘Asian Age’ and ‘The Sunday Guardian’
Criminal Defamation Case Against Priya Ramani to be Heard on 18 Oct
Delhi's Patiala House court has listed the matter of the defamation case filed by MJ Akbar against Priya Ramani for 18 October.
MJ Akbar Has Given His Stand: JP Nadda
Union Minister MJ Akbar has "given his stand" on the sexual harassment allegations against him, Union Health Minister JP Nadda said Monday.
"MJ Akbar has spoken yesterday itself. He has given his stand and he is going for a legal course of action", he said responding to questions on the issue at a press conference.
MJ Akbar Wants to Silence Victims With Intimidation: Priya Ramani
Priya Ramani issued a statement against the defamation case filed by MJ Akbar against her, saying, that he has made his stand clear with it. She also said that Akbar intends to silence the victims with intimidation and harassment.
Anti-Women Face of BJP Exposed: BSP
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) said that by not asking MJ AKbar to resign, the BJP has exposed its anti-women face.
“In this whole MJ Akbar episode the anti-women face of the BJP Government has been exposed. By not asking the minister to resign, BJP is being arrogant and insensitive,” the BSP said, as quoted by ANI.
Journalists Organisations Issue Joint Statement Against Akbar
Multiple journalist organisations issued a joint statement against MJ Akbar’s comments on sexual harassment allegations and filing of a case against the accusers.
“We the undersigned journalist organisations have been deeply concerned over the overwhelming complaints of sexual harassment in the media. We recognize that sexual harassment at the workplace is a worrisome reality and that media organisations and managements have been unable to put the systems in place which would have ordinarily addressed complaints of sexual harassment,” the statement read
“We are also deeply disappointed at the statement issued by Mr M J Akbar, Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs. wherein he has threatened legal action against all those who have alleged they were harassed by him. Mr. Akbar is a senior functionary of the government and his response should reflect the responsibility that is thus bestowed on him,” it added.