K’taka Bypolls: Cong-JD(S) Wins 4 Seats, Bags BJP Bastion Ballari
Counting for five constituencies going to bypolls took place in Karnataka on Tuesday, 6 November with the Congress-JD(S) winning the Jamkhandi and Ramanagaram Assembly seats and Ballari and Mandya Lok Sabha seats, while BJP won the Shimoga Lok Sabha seat.
While the Congress dubbed the win as a reflection of the mood of the nation, BJP called the party’s poor show a “warning”.
- Out of the three parliamentary seats of Ballari, Shivamoga and Mandya, Congress bagged BJP bastion Ballari by 2,43,161 votes
- JD(S) also defeated BJP in Mandya with 3,24,943 votes
- BJP won in Shivamoga by 52,148 votes
- Out of the two Lok Sabha seats, Congress won Jamkhandi by 39,480 votes while JD(S) won Ramangara seat by 1,09,137 votes
The Number Game: Who Stands Where
- Congress+JD(S) won by a margin of 2,43,161 votes.
- VS Ugrappa (Congress+JDS): 628365
- J Shantha (BJP): 385204
- BJP won by a margin of 52,148 votes.
- BY Raghavendara (BJP): 5,43,306
- Madhu Bangarappa (Congress+JDS): 4,91,158
- Congress+JD(S) won by a margin of 3,24,943 votes.
- Shivarame Gowda (Congress-JDS): 5,69,347
- SG Siddaramaiah (BJP): 2,44,404
- Congress+JD(S) won by a margin of 39,480 votes.
- Ananth Nyamegowda (Congress-JDS): 97,017
- Srikanth Kulkarni (BJP): 57,537
- Congress+JD(S) won by a margin of 1,09,137 votes.
- Anitha Kumaraswamy (Congress+JDS): 1,25,043
- L Chandrashekar (BJP): 15,906
It's a warning for BJP Partymen: BS Yeddyurappa
Veteran BJP leader BS Yeddyurappa said the results were a warning for the BJP partymen and work needs to be done right away in the respective constituencies.
“The painful fact is that we have had a setback in Ballari and Jamakhandi. I feel this is a warning to us and we need to begin work there right away,” he said, as quoted by Hindustan Times (HT).
Yeddyurappa’s son won from Shivamogga Lok Sabha seat.
He also accused the ruling Congress-JD(S) alliance of using money power. “ They had money, muscle and government power and they used this or else we could have got more votes. They won because they spent a lot of money and supplied a lot of liquor. But they could not do so in Shivamogga, but let us not get disheartened,” he said.
Shaktisinh Gohil Congratulates Karnataka
Congress national spokesperson Shaktisinh Gohil congratulated the people of Karnataka and thanked them for keeping BJP’s alleged divisive narrative out of the state.
Hope BJP Gets the Message Loud and Clear: Karnataka Minister
Karnataka Minister Priyank Kharge took to Twitter to congratulate Congress-JD(S) for its victory in the bypolls and called it a clear message for the BJP.
The Results are Indicative of the Changed Mood in the Country: Manish Tewari.
Congratulating the Congress and JD(S) for their performance in Karnataka, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari said that the results are “indicative of the changed mood in the country.”