Pulwama Attack: Death Toll Rises to 40, PM Modi Warns Pakistan
Catch all the live updates on the Pulwama attack here.
The death toll in the Pulwama attack on a CRPF convoy has risen to 40. Earlier on Friday, 15 February, India withdrew the 'Most Favoured Nation' status given to Pakistan.
The MEA will also initiate all possible diplomatic steps to ensure that Pakistan is completely isolated from the international community, Union Minister Arun Jaitley said.
Condemning the attack, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the forces behind the terror attack will be punished, warning Pakistan that it is "making a big mistake.” Meanwhile, Congress President Rahul Gandhi extended support to the government in the aftermath of the attack and said that the "entire Opposition stands with the government and the jawans.”
What Exactly Happened
- A CRPF convoy of 78 vehicles, carrying 2,547 CRPF personnel was attacked at 2:03 pm at Awantipora in J&K’s Pulawama District.
- A Mahindra Scorpio carrying more than 350 kg of explosives hit the convoy at Awantipora, 20 km away from Srinagar.
- A CRPF official told The Quint that terrorists opened fire after the blast ripped through the convoy.
- One of the two buses that were badly hit was carrying 39 personnel.
- The injured are being treated at the Army base hospital in Srinagar.
- In an official statement, CRPF confirmed that 37 jawans have been martyred.
- Pakistan based Jaish-e-Mohammed has claimed responsibility for the attack.
- According to NDTV, the stretch of road where the attack occurred was believed to be "safe".
- The jawans were returning from a holiday and were supposed to reach Srinagar before sunset. The convoy started from Jammu around 3 am in the morning.
- PM Modi chaired a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) to discuss the detailed assessment of the attack
- While J&K Police has identified the terrorist as Adil Ahmad from Pulwama, Jaish-e-Mohammed has claimed responsibility for the attack
- At least 37 CRPF personnel were killed after a car carrying about 350 kg of explosives hit a CRPF convoy of 78 vehicles
China Declines India's Bid to Declare JeM Chief a Global Terrorist Again
China has again declined to back India's appeal to list Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist by the UN following the Pulwama attack on 14 February, PTI reported.
Movement of Military Convoys Halted in Kashmir
The movement of military convoys has been halted in the Kashmir valley on Friday, 15 February, in wake of the terror attack.
Rajnath Singh Leaves for Srinagar
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, on Friday, 15 February, left for Srinagar accompanied by Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba.
Singh will take an evaluation of the situation in Pulwama, a day after the attack on a CRPF convoy.
'This Heinous Attack Will Be Avenged': CRPF
After losing at least 37 of its personnel, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) put out a statement, saying that the attack on its convoy will be avenged.
“We will not forget, We will not forgive. We salute our martyrs of the Pulwama attack and stand with the families of our martyr brothers. This heinous attack will be avenged.”CRPF Statement
Wreath Laying Ceremony for Martyrs Underway
The mortal remains of security personnel who lost their lives in the Pulwama terror attack have been sent to the CRPF camp in Budgam for the wreath-laying ceremony.