Goans Won’t Be Given Entry Into Casinos From Feb. 1
Gaming chips sit on a table during the Global Gaming Expo Asia (G2E Asia) in Macau, China. (Photographer: Paul Yeung/Bloomberg)  

Goans Won’t Be Given Entry Into Casinos From Feb. 1

Bookmark

Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Thursday announced that people of the state will not be allowed entry into the casinos operating in the state starting Feb. 1.

Talking to reporters, Sawant said the Commissioner of Goods and Services Tax, who is also the gaming commissioner, will implement the ban. A large number of Goans and several political parties, including the Congress, had been seeking a ban on the casinos in the state, alleging that these establishments were against the local culture and causing financial devastation for families.

Also read: From Chipmakers to Casinos, Virus Angst Is Far-Ranging in Stocks

The coastal state is home to six offshore and a dozen onshore casinos that witness heavy footfall of tourists and locals alike. "I had assured on the floor of the House during the last Assembly session (August 2019) that Goans would be banned from entering casinos. We are going to implement the assurance from February 1," the chief minister said.

The rules required for the strict implementation of the ban would be framed later, he added. "We are going step by step," Sawant said.

Also read: Speciality Restaurants Expects Mumbai’s Nightlife Policy To Aid Only Weekend Business

BQ Install

Bloomberg Quint

Add BloombergQuint App to Home screen.