CNN Says It Filed Lawsuit Against Trump Over First Amendment Rights
(Bloomberg) -- CNN has filed a lawsuit against the Trump Administration Tuesday morning in DC District Court, CNN says in a statement posted on its website.
- CNN “demands” the return of the White House credentials of its Chief White House correspondent, Jim Acosta
- “The wrongful revocation of these credentials violates CNN and Acosta’s First Amendment rights of freedom of the press, and their Fifth Amendment rights to due process": statement
- CNN has asked court for an “immediate restraining order” seeking return of press pass to Acosta, and it’s also seeking “permanent relief” as part of the process
- If the case “left unchallenged,” the actions of the White House would create what CNN called a “dangerous chilling effect” for any journalist who covers their elected officials, CNN says
- NOTE: On Nov. 9, President Donald Trump said he might not return CNN reporter Jim Acosta’s pass to get into the White House and that other journalists may lose their credentials as well
©2018 Bloomberg L.P.