T-Mobile Outpaces Even Verizon's Strong Growth in Customer Adds
(Bloomberg) -- T-Mobile US Inc.’s fourth-quarter wireless customer gains surpassed analyst estimates and topped strong growth at larger rival Verizon Communications Inc., continuing the company’s run as the fastest-growing U.S. mobile carrier.
- The phone provider said it added 1.4 million regular monthly wireless customers, according to preliminary results. Analysts expected 985,000 new subscribers, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The new additions included 1 million phone customers, more than the 650,000 Verizon added in the quarter.
- T-Mobile’s outperformance of even Verizon’s surprisingly strong numbers is a signal that it’s continuing to take the most market share among U.S. carriers.
- The results suggest it’ll be tough for AT&T Inc. and T-Mobile’s planned merger partner Sprint Corp. to hit their current estimates for subscriber growth, in a mature wireless market that has seen little new-customer growth overall.
- T-Mobile shares were up 1.8 percent in premarket trading Wednesday.
- For more details, click here.
- Read the statement here.
©2019 Bloomberg L.P.