Saudi Economic Conference Plans to Go On With ‘Updated’ Program

(Bloomberg) -- Saudi Arabia’s financial summit next week will proceed with an “updated” program after many Wall Street executives and government officials around the world pulled out in protest over the alleged killing of a Saudi journalist.

“The Future Investment Initiative is moving ahead with an updated program built around the latest global business, investment and technology trends, featuring over 120 speakers and moderators, across more than 35 sessions over 3 days,” a spokesman said Friday in a statement.

BlackRock Chairman Larry Fink, Blackstone Group LP’s Steve Schwarzman and JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s Jamie Dimon are among those who have pulled out of the summit, an event meant to showcase the reform efforts of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

U.S. President Donald Trump said Thursday that it “certainly looks” like dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead, and he warned of “very severe” consequences for the killing. Khashoggi has been missing since entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul earlier this month.

©2018 Bloomberg L.P.