Prince Andrew Accuser’s Epstein Settlement to Be Public Jan. 3
(Bloomberg) -- A confidential 2009 settlement Virginia Giuffre reached with Jeffrey Epstein will be made public Jan. 3 as part of a lawsuit in which she claims the disgraced financier “lent” her out sexually to Prince Andrew.
U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska in Manhattan said the document, which was filed under seal in lawsuits by Giuffre against Prince Andrew and Alan Dershowitz, an emeritus Harvard Law School professor, will be fully unsealed and available in public court records.
Preska had previously ordered that the document be unsealed unless a party in the two lawsuits or a representative of Epstein’s estate could demonstrate “good cause” for it to remain under seal.
“No such showing has been made,” the judge said in a written order Wednesday.
Giuffre sued Dershowitz for defamation in 2019 after the legal scholar repeatedly denied her claims that he’d had sex with her when she was a teenager and called her a liar. Dershowitz denies the claims and has countersued. She sued Prince Andrew in August, claiming he had sexually abused her, which he has denied.
Dershowitz and Prince Andrew have both argued that the settlement provides a legal release from Giuffre’s claims against them.
Giuffre claims she was sexually abused by Epstein, who died in his New York jail cell in 2019, and that he forced her to have sex with his powerful friends.
Preska’s ruling came as jurors convicted Epstein’s former girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell of trafficking underage girls for sex.
The cases are Giuffre v. Prince Andrew, 21-cv-06702, and Giuffre v. Dershowitz, 19-cv-3377, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.