Novo Nordisk Joins Other Drugmakers With Gains on Virus Stockpiling
(Bloomberg) -- Novo Nordisk A/S joined other major drugmakers in reporting surging sales as patients snapped up diabetes medicines ahead of coronavirus lockdowns.
- Sales rose 16% to 33.88 billion Danish kroner ($4.92 billion) in the first quarter, the Danish pharma company said Wednesday.
- Novo’s key diabetes drug Ozempic shows it’s still on a strong growth trajectory, beating analysts’ sales forecasts.
- Analysts will look closely at the performance of Rybelsus, the tablet version of Ozempic seen as a growth engine in coming years. That drug’s sales were in line with estimates.
- Novo maintained its 2020 forecast, showing it expects to withstand any hit from Covid-19.
- Diabetes drugs face pricing challenges, especially in the U.S., and Novo has said it expects that pressure to continue.
- Novo shares have gained about 11% this year through Tuesday.
- Read the statement here.
- More details here.
©2020 Bloomberg L.P.