Azerbaijan, Armenia Say Truce Holds After Worst Clash Since War
(Bloomberg) -- A Russian-brokered cease-fire between Azerbaijan and Armenia appeared to be holding after at least eight troops were killed Tuesday in the worst escalation between the south Caucasus neighbors since a 44-day war last year.
Armenia’s Defense Ministry said the cease-fire was holding. Azerbaijan said the situation along the state border had “stabilized” overnight.
Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry said the clashes near the border had killed seven of its troops and injured 10. Armenia reported one soldier was killed, 13 captured and 24 are unaccounted for.
The countries blamed each other for the fighting that ended with a truce brokered by Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu. President Vladimir Putin discussed the crisis in a phone call with Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan after Armenia asked Russia for military assistance on the basis of a mutual defense pact signed in 1997.
Tensions remain high between Azerbaijan and Armenia after last year’ that killed over 6,000 troops on both sides. Azerbaijan reclaimed control of parts of the mountainous region of Nagorno-Karabakh and surrounding territory before Russia brokered a cease-fire a year ago, deploying 2,000 troops to maintain peace.
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.