(Bloomberg) -- The Taliban’s announcement of a three-day cease-fire starting on the first day of the Eid holiday comes "following the bold decision by the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan to cease the fight for a period of time," Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani says in a tweet.
Taliban announced on Saturday it would halt fighting against Afghan forces for three days during holidays starting next week.
The U.S.-led foreign forces are excluded from the cease-fire and the group will continue fighting them, Zabihullah Mujahed, a Taliban spokesman, said earlier in an emailed statement.
Ghani on June 7 announced a rare and temporary cease-fire after the Islamic Council issued an edict that forbade suicide bombing and had urged the group to join peace efforts.
©2018 Bloomberg L.P.