Sensex, Nifty Post Modest Gains; ONGC, L&T Top Performers
Indian equity markets remained sideways for the third straight day, ending with modest gains but registering another record high.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended with gains of 0.34% at 46,253 while the NSE Nifty index ended 0.33% higher at 13,558. Both the benchmark indices ended higher for the second straight day.
Among sectoral indices, it was the PSU Banks and Media stocks that outperformed in today's session. Both the respective indices ended with gains of 1.8% each.
The Nifty Metal index was the other sectoral gainer in today's session, ending 1.4% higher. The index ended at the highest level in two years.
Auto and Real Estate stocks were the laggards in today's session. Both the respective indices fell over 1% in today's session.
Broader markets outperformed to start the week on a strong note. The Midcap index gained 0.6% while the Smallcap index ended 0.8% higher.
India Volatility Index rose 3.4% to end at 19.43.
1,204 stocks on the NSE ended with gains while 697 stocks declined.
How Did The Sectoral Indices Fare
Auto Index Top Laggard
Broader Markets To Outperform?
Markets At 2:10 P.M.
- Benchmark indices trade with modest gains
- Nifty up 0.3% at 13,550
- Sensex up 0.3% at 46,230
- Nifty Bank up 0.6% at 30,777
- Nifty Midcap index up 0.7%
- Nifty Smallcap index up 0.6%
- India Volatility Index up 3.5% to 19.45
- Nifty Media is the top sectoral gainer; up 1.9%
- Nifty PSU Bank, Nifty Metal index up 1.4% each
- Nifty Auto is the top sectoral laggard; down 1%
- Larsen & Toubro is the top Nifty gainer; up 4.5%
- Eicher Motors is the top Nifty laggard; down 2.5%
- 1,225 stocks on the NSE are trading with gains while 632 decline