Sensex, Nifty End Higher For Second Day; Broader Markets Outperform
Indian equity markets continued their rebound from Monday's losses, ending higher for the second straight day with buying seen across the board.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended nearly 1% higher at 46,444 while the NSE Nifty 50 index ended above the mark of 13,600, up 1% at 13,601. Both the benchmarks have now recovered nearly 2% of Monday's 3% decline.
Among the sectoral indices, Media and Realty were the outperformers in today's session. The Nifty Realty index gained nearly 4% while the Media index rose 3.3%.
The Nifty I.T. index continued its winning run, gaining 2.4% to end at another record high. The PSU Bank index gained 2.1% while the FMCG index rose 1.9%.
Broader markets outperformed in today's trading session. The Nifty Midcap index ended 2.4% higher while the Smallcap index rose 2.7% ahead of the weekly options expiry session tomorrow.
The India Volatility Index fell 6.8% to 20.5.
1,603 stocks on the NSE ended with gains while 303 reported losses.
How Did The Sectoral Indices Fare
Markets At 2:10 P.M.
- Benchmark indices trade at the day's high
- Nifty up 0.65% at 13,554
- Sensex up 0.63% at 46,928
- Nifty Bank up 0.7% at 29,823
- Nifty Midcap index up 1.9%
- Nifty Smallcap index up 2.3%
- India Volatility Index down 2.6% at 21.4
- Nifty Realty remains the top sectoral gainer; up 3.7%
- Nifty I.T. trading at a record high; up 2.3%
- Nifty Media up 2.1% while Nifty PSU Bank index up 1.7%
- Wipro remains the top Nifty gainer; up 5.3%
- Divi's Laboratories remains the top Nifty laggard; down 1.4%
- 1,560 stocks on the NSE trade with gains while 303 decline