Sensex, Nifty Fall For Third Day As RIL, I.T. Stocks Drag
Indian equities ended lower for the third straight day as heavyweight Reliance Industries and technology stocks underperformed.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 1.1% lower at 48,347 while the NSE Nifty 50 index fell 0.9% to end at 14,238.
Reliance Industries was the biggest contributor to the decline in the benchmark indices, ending 5.6% lower. This was the biggest single-day fall seen in the stock in nearly three months.
Among sectoral indices, technology shares were the biggest laggards in today's session. The Nifty I.T. index ended 1.8% lower while the PSU Bank index, Auto index and the Realty index fell 0.8% each.
Nifty Pharma outperformed in today's session, ending 1.7% higher, mainly led by gains in Aurobindo Pharma, which closed at a record high.
Broader markets moved in-line with the benchmark indices. The Midcap index fell 0.9% while the Smallcap index declined 1.2% in today's session.
The India Volatility Index rose 3.7% to end at 23.25.
1,404 stocks on the NSE ended with losses while 519 stocks bucked the trend to end higher.
How Did The Sectoral Indices Fare
In Focus: Aurobindo Pharma
Markets At 2:10 P.M.
- Benchmark indices fluctuate between gains and losses
- Nifty down 0.1% at 14,350
- Sensex down 0.3% at 48,734
- Nifty Bank up 0.6% at 31,351
- Nifty Midcap index down 0.2%
- Nifty Smallcap index down 0.5%
- India Volatility Index up 3.8% at 23.3
- Nifty Pharma is the top sectoral gainer; up 2.4%
- Nifty Metal is the other sectoral gainer; up 0.9%
- Nifty I.T. is the top sectoral laggard; down 0.6%
- Grasim remains the top Nifty gainer; up 8%
- Reliance Industries is the top Nifty laggard; down 4.8%
- 1,256 stocks on the NSE decline while 628 are trading with gains