Sensex, Nifty End Near Day’s High; Realty Stocks Outperform
Indian equity markets shrugged off three days of sideways movement to end near the highest point of the day. This, despite the absence of banking stocks contributing to the surge.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 0.87% higher at 46,666 while the NSE Nifty 50 index rose 0.85% to end at 13,682. Both benchmark indices registered new record highs.
It was the real estate stocks that outperformed in today's session. The Nifty Realty index ended with gains of 5.1% - its biggest single-day gain since August 27, this year. The index ended at a 10-month high.
The other index that outperformed in today's session was the Nifty Metal index, which ended with gains of 1.8% and at the highest level since November 2018. This was the fifth straight day of gains for the Metal index.
The Nifty Auto and Nifty Pharma index gained 1% each while the Nifty I.T. index rose 0.8%.
Broader markets outperformed in today's session. The Nifty Midcap index gained 1.1% while the Smallcap index ended 1% higher.
The India Volatility Index ended below the mark of 20 for the 11th straight session, ending 0.47% lower at 19.25.
1,144 stocks on the NSE ended with gains while 746 declined.
How Did The Sectoral Indices Fare
In Focus: Blue Star
Markets At 2:10 P.M.
- Benchmark indices surge to the day's high
- Nifty up 0.8% at 13,673
- Sensex up 0.8% at 46,635
- Nifty Bank up 0.3% at 30,781
- Nifty Midcap index up 1.1%
- Nifty Smallcap index up 1.3%
- India Volatility Index down 0.6% to 19.22
- Nifty Realty index remains the top sectoral gainer; up 5.6%
- Nifty Metal index is the other major sectoral gainer; up 1.4%
- Nifty Auto index up 1% while Nifty Pharma up 0.8%
- Nifty PSU Bank remains the only sectoral laggard; down 0.8%
- HDFC is the top Nifty gainer; up 3.4%
- NTPC is the top Nifty laggard; down 0.9%
- 1,244 stocks on the NSE trade with gains while 599 are declining