Sensex, Nifty See Modest Gains; PSU Bank Index Jumps 7%
Indian equity markets posted yet another day of gains, although modest, amidst subdued global cues.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 0.4% higher at 45,608 while the NSE Nifty 50 index ended 0.3% higher at 13,392. The Sensex gained for the fourth straight day while the Nifty advanced for the sixth straight session.
The outperformers of today's trading session were the PSU Banks. The PSU Bank index ended with gains of over 7% - which was its biggest single-day gain in six months. The index gained for the fourth straight day and rose to its highest level in nine months. Stocks like Canara Bank, Indian Bank gained nearly 20%, which was their biggest single-day advance since October 2017.
Other indices like the Nifty I.T. and Nifty Realty indices gained 0.8%. Among the laggards today were Nifty Metal and Nifty Pharma, both of which ended lower by 1.2% each.
Broader markets were little changed. Both Nifty Midcap and Nifty Smallcap indices ended little changed from Monday's levels.
India Volatility Index ended 3.3% higher at 18.61.
918 stocks on the NSE ended with gains while 980 posted losses.
How Did The Sectoral Indices Fare
AMFI Data For November
Markets At 2:10 P.M.
- Benchmark indices set to post yet another day of gains
- Nifty up 0.4% at 13,403
- Sensex up 0.5% at 45,642
- Nifty Bank up 0.3% at 30,289
- Nifty Midcap index unchanged
- Nifty Smallcap index up 0.2%
- India Volatility Index up 3.5% to 18.66
- Nifty PSU Bank index remains the top sectoral gainer; up 4.8%
- Nifty Metal index remains the top sectoral laggard; down 1.5%
- Nifty Realty index up 0.9% while I.T. index gains 0.6%
- UltraTech Cement remains the top Nifty gainer; up 2.9%
- Adani Ports remains the top Nifty laggard; down 2.5%
- 888 stocks on the NSE trade with gains while 983 are declining