Sensex, Nifty End Flat For Second Day; PSU Banks Outperform
Indian equity markets closed the weekly options expiry session at levels nearly similar to Wednesday. Benchmark indices traded in a narrow range throughout the session to end with modest gains.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended six points higher at 44,624 while the NSE Nifty 50 index ended 18 points higher at 13,136. The Sensex traded in a 400 point range while the Nifty's trading range was 90 points.
Among sectoral indices, the PSU Bank index was the top performer in today's session, ending with gains of 4.8%. This was the biggest single-day gain for the index in three months. It has also ended at the highest level since March this year.
The Nifty Metal index was the other major gainer in today's session, ending 2.5% higher, at the highest level since April 2019. The index gained for the fifth straight day.
The Nifty Media index gained 2.8% while the Nifty Auto index ended with gains of 1.7%. The Pharma index too closed 1% higher.
Among the laggards for today's session, the Nifty I.T. index fell 0.5% while the Nifty Bank index posted modest losses.
Broader markets outperformed in today's session with both Nifty Midcap and Nifty Smallcap index ending with gains of 0.6% each. The midcap index closed at the highest level since April 2018 while the Smallcap index closed at the highest since April 2019.
India Volatility Index fell 4.5% to end at 19.
Broader markets outperformed in today's session with both Nifty Midcap and Nifty Smallcap index ending with gains of 0.6% each.
How Did The Sectoral Indices Fare
Metal Index Highest Since April 2019
Markets At 2:10 P.M.
- Benchmark indices continue to trade in a range
- Nifty up 0.2% at 13,142
- Sensex up 0.1% at 44,676
- Nifty Bank up 0.2% at 29,533
- Nifty Midcap index up 0.6%
- Nifty Smallcap index up 0.7%
- India Volatility Index down 2.7% to 19.4
- Nifty PSU Bank index remains the top sectoral gainer; up 5%
- Nifty Media and Nifty Metal index up over 2% each
- Nifty Auto index up 1.6% while Nifty Realty index up 1.2%
- Nifty I.T. index is the only sectoral laggard; down 0.3%
- Maruti Suzuki remains the top Nifty gainer; up 6.3%
- SBI Life Insurance remains the top Nifty laggard; down 1.8%
- 1,355 stocks on the NSE are trading with gains while 500 decline