Sensex, Nifty Resume Gains After One-Day Blip
Closing Bell: Sensex, Nifty Resume Gains After One-Day Blip
Indian equity benchmarks ended marginally higher after a one-day blip.
The benchmark indices which traded lower during the day, pared losses during the last 30-minute trade, led by the gains in private banks.
The S&P BSE Sensex rose 0.05 percent to end at 40,345.08 and the NSE Nifty 50 rose 0.04 percent to close at 11,913.45. The broader markets represented by the NSE Nifty 500 Index rose 0.13 percent.
The market breadth was tilted in favour of buyers. About 902 stocks advanced and 890 shares declined on National Stock Exchange.
Six out of 11 sectoral gauges compiled by NSE ended higher, led by the NSE Nifty Media Index’s 2.82 percent gain. On the flipside, the NSE Nifty IT Index was the top sectoral loser, down 0.53 percent.
HDFC Bank Gains After Large Trade
Shares of HDFC Bank rose 1 percent to Rs 1,267.
About 23.9 lakh shares of HDFC Bank changed hands in a large trade, Bloomberg data showed. Buyers and sellers were not known immediately.
AstraZeneca Pharma Jumps 8% After Q2 Results
Shares of AstraZeneca Pharma rose as much as 7.9 percent to Rs 2,688 after the company announced September quarter results.
Key Earnings Highlights (Q2, YoY)
- Revenue up 29.2 percent to Rs 208.5 crore.
- Net profit up 58.2 percent to Rs 14.4 crore.
- Ebitda up 2.3 times to Rs 33.6 crore.
- Margin at 16.1 percent versus 9.2 percent.
Stocks Moving On Heavy Volumes
- Stock rose as much as 11.3 percent to Rs 305.95.
- Trading volume was more than 11 times its 20-day average.
Amara Raja Batteries
- Stock rose as much as 8.8 percent to Rs 711.90.
- Trading volume was almost 11 times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 2.3 percent to Rs 448.50.
- Trading volume was more than five times its 20-day average.
Asahi India Glass
- Stock rose as much as 5 percent to Rs 200.05.
- Trading volume was more than nine times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 8.9 percent to Rs 193.80.
- Trading volume was more than seven times its 20-day average.
Market Check: Sensex, Nifty Off Day’s Low
Indian equity benchmarks traded off day’s low. The benchmark indices were fluctuating between gains and losses in the opening trade.
The S&P BSE Sensex fell 0.12 percent to 40,271 as of 2:05 p.m. and the NSE Nifty 50 fell 0.14 percent to 11,891. The broader markets represented by the NSE Nifty 500 Index traded little changed.