Sensex, Nifty End Lower On Rupee Woes
Countdown Live: Top Trading Ideas And More!
Closing Bell: Sensex, Nifty End Lower On Rupee Woes
Indian equity benchmarks ended lower after the local currency declined to a record low against the U.S. dollar.
The S&P BSE Sensex Index closed 0.5 percent lower at 37,663.56 and the NSE Nifty 50 Index closed at 11,385.05, down 0.44 percent.
Seven out of 11 sectoral gauges compiled by NSE fell, led by NSE Nifty Metal Index's 2.2 percent decline. On the flipside, NSE Nifty Pharma Index was the top sectoral gainer, up 1.4 percent.
HDIL Rallies After A Block Deal
Shares of the real estate developer rose as much as 20.2 percent to Rs 31.20.
About 15.3 lakh shares changed hands in a block deal, Bloomberg data showed. Buyers and sellers were not known immediately.
Maruti Suzuki Hikes Prices, Shares Gain
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. announced price hike that varies across models and is up to Rs 6,100 due to owing to increase in commodity and distribution costs and adverse foreign exchange rates, according to its regulatory filing.
The stock rose as much as 1.1 percent to Rs 9,236.
Stocks Moving On Heavy Volumes
- Stock rose as much as 13.1 percent to Rs 1,428.45.
- Trading volume was 10.7 times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 10.4 percent to Rs 46.20.
- Trading volume was 2.7 times its 20-day average.
Jain Irrigation Systems
- Stock fell as much as 9.9 percent to Rs 75.
- Trading volume was 2 times its 20-day average.
- Stock fell as much as 13.8 percent to Rs 17.80.
- Trading volume was 1.7 times its 20-day average.
European Stocks Rise As Miners Rebound
European equities climbed as mining shares rebounded after falling the most in more than two years yesterday.