Sensex, Nifty End Mixed On A Volatile Day As HDFC’s Losses Offset RIL’s Gains
Closing Bell: Sensex, Nifty End Mixed On A Volatile Day As HDFC’s Losses Offset RIL’s Gains
Indian stocks ended mixed on a volatile session ahead of the quarterly results announcement of the nation’s two largest firms.
The S&P BSE Sensex rose marginally by 0.03 percent to end at 41,945.37 and the NSE Nifty 50 fell 0.03 percent to close at 12,352. The broader markets represented by the NSE Nifty 500 Index rose 0.09 percent.
The market breadth was tilted in favour of buyers. About 927 stocks advanced and 864 shares declined on National Stock Exchange.
Six out of 11 sectoral gauges compiled by NSE ended lower, led by the NSE Nifty Bank Index’s 0.83 percent fall. On the flipside, the NSE Nifty Pharma Index was the top sectoral gainer, up 1.7 percent.
HCL Tech Hits Record High; RIL Gains, TCS Falls Ahead Of Q3 Results
Shares of HCL Technologies rose as much as 1.4 percent to hit an all-time high at Rs 601.40 ahead of its December quarter results announcement.
Shares of Reliance Industries rose as much as 3.1 percent to Rs 1,584.95, while shares of Tata Consultancy Services fell as much as 1.2 percent to Rs 2,213.
Here are the analysts consensus estimates tracked by Bloomberg:
RIL (Q3, QoQ)
- Revenue seen 6.5 percent higher at Rs 92,803 crore.
- Net profit flat at Rs 9,706 crore versus Rs 9,702 crore.
- Ebitda seen up 6.9 percent at Rs 14,608 crore.
- Margin seen at 15.7 percent versus 15.7 percent.
- GRMs seen up 1.1 percent at $9.5 per barrel.
Reliance Jio (Q3, QoQ)
- Revenue seen 11.1 percent higher at Rs 13,722 crore.
- Net Profit seen 43 percent up to Rs 1,419 crore.
- Ebitda seen 16.3 percent higher at Rs 5,978 crore.
- Margin at 43.6 percent versus 41.6 percent.
- ARPU seen 3.3 percent higher at Rs 124.
TCS (Q3, QoQ)
- Revenue seen 2.2 percent higher at Rs 39,836 crore.
- Profit seen 1.8 percent higher at Rs 8,189 crore.
- EBIT seen up 4.3 percent higher at Rs 9,760 crore.
- EBIT margin seen at 24.5 percent versus 24 percent.
HCL Tech (Q3, QoQ)
- Revenue seen 3.6 percent higher Rs 18,155 crore.
- EBIT seen 1.3 percent higher at Rs 3,542 crore.
- EBIT margin seen at 19.5 percent versus 20 percent.
- Net profit seen 4 percent higher at Rs 2,758 crore.
Fab Four Stocks Of The Day
Garware Technical Fibres
- Stock rose as much as 12.9 percent to hit an all-time high at Rs 1,475.
- Shares extended gains for the fifth consecutive trading session.
- Stock rose as much as 5.4 percent to Rs 2,028.
- Fresh longs seen with high open interest of 47.3 percent.
- Trading volume was six times its 20day average.
- Stock rose as much as 10.2 percent to Rs 29.20.
- To consider bonus issue on Jan. 27
- Stock rose as much as 7 percent to Rs 1,655.
- To sell healthcare insights and analytics business to U.S.-based Clarivate Analytics for $950 million
IndiaMART InterMESH Surges The Most In Nearly A Month
Shares of IndiaMART InterMESH rose as much as 7.8 percent, the most since Dec. 23, 2019, to Rs 2,165.
Of the shares traded, 43 percent were at the ask price and 43 percent were at the bid, according to Bloomberg data.
Pharma Shares Advance As Piramal Enterprises, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Lead
The NSE Nifty Pharma Index rose nearly 2 percent, led by the advance in Piramal Enterprises and Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories.
Market Check: Sensex, Nifty Head For A Volatile Close
Indian stocks are headed for a volatile close.
The S&P BSE Sensex rose 0.12 percent to 41,980 and the NSE Nifty 50 traded little changed at 12,357. The broader markets represented by the NSE Nifty 500 index rose 0.13 percent.