Sensex, Nifty Clock Longest Winning Streak Since December To End At Over Six-Month High
Closing Headline: Sensex, Nifty Rally For Seventh Day To End At Over Six-Month High
Indian equity benchmarks ended higher for the seventh consecutive trading session, registering its longest gaining streak Dec. 19, 2018, to end at over a six-month high.
The S&P BSE Sensex closed 0.7 percent or 268 points higher at 38,363.47 and the NSE Nifty 50 ended at 11,532.40, up 0.61 percent. The broader markets, represented by the NSE Nifty 500 Index also ended higher after gaining 0.56 percent.
The market breadth was tilted in favour of buyers. About 924 shares advanced, and 827 stocks declined on National Stock Exchange.
Nine out of 11 sectoral gauges compiled by NSE advanced, led by the NSE Nifty PSU Bank Index’s 1.87 percent rally. On the flipside, the NSE Nifty Auto Index was the top sectoral loser, down 0.7 percent.
Infosys Pares Loss, Gains Over 2%
Shares of Infosys pared losses and rose over 2 percent intraday to Rs 726.50.
Stocks Moving On Heavy Volumes
- Stock rose as much as 13.6 percent to Rs 98.70.
- Trading volume was more than nine times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 6.7 percent to Rs 1,672.80.
- Trading volume was nine times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 4.3 percent to Rs 331.80.
- Trading volume was almost triple its 20-day average.
Mindtree Addresses The Media On L&T's Hostile Takeover
The organisation will continue to oppose L&T’s takeover attempt, said Mindtree Chairman Krishnakumar Natarajan.