May Auto Sales: Maruti Suzuki Sales Drop 22%; Bajaj Auto Outpace Rivals
TVS Motor Sales Decline 1%
TVS Motor Company Ltd. sold 3.07 lakh units last month a fall of nearly 1 percent from May 2018, the Chennai-based company said in a stock exchange filing.
Key sales highlights (YoY)
- Two-wheeler sales fell 1.3 percent to 2.94 lakh units.
- Domestic two-wheeler sales fell 3.8 percent to 2.36 lakh units.
- Scooter sales rose 2 percent to 98,202 units.
- Motorcycle sales rose 13 percent to 1.42 lakh units.
- Three-wheeler sales rose 9 percent to 12,780 units.
- Two-wheeler exports rose 11 percent to 57,519 units.
- Overall exports rose 11 percent to 69,319 units.
Shares of TVS Motor rose as much as 4.2 percent to Rs 499.50 after the announcement.
Ashok Leyland Sales Fall 4%, Shares Gain
Ashok Leyland’s sales fell 4 percent to 13,172 units in May, according to its stock exchange filing.
Key Sales Highlights (YoY)
- Domestic medium and heavy commercial truck sales fell 2 percent to 7,325 units.
- Domestic medium and heavy commercial bus sales fell 12 percent to 1,310 units.
- Total domestic medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales declined 4 percent to 8,635 units.
- Domestic light commercial vehicle sales rose 34 percent to 4,143 units.
- Total domestic vehicle sales rose 6 percent to 12,778 units.
Sales Including Exports (YoY)
- Total medium and heavy commercial truck sales fell 12 percent to 7,382 units.
- Total medium and heavy commercial bus sales declined 21 percent to 1,564 units.
- Total medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales fell 14 percent to 8,946 units.
- Total light commercial vehicle sales rose 31 percent to 4,226 units.
Shares of the truck and bus maker rose as much as 1.7 percent to Rs 90.40 after the announcement.
Bajaj Auto Pares Loss After May Sales Rise 3%
Shares of Bajaj Auto pared opening losses and rose as much as 1.5 percent to Rs 2,970 after the company announced its May sales data.
The company's total sales rose 3 percent year-on-year to 4.19 lakh vehicles last month, according to its stock exchange filing.
Key Sales Highlights (YoY)
- Domestic motorcycle sales rose 7 percent to 2.05 lakh units.
- Motorcycle exports rose 6 percent to 1.59 lakh units.
- Total motorcycle sales rose 7 percent 3.65 lakh units.
- Domestic commercial vehicles sales declined 6 percent to 30,103 units.
- Commercial vehicles’ exports fell 26 percent to 24,064 units.
- Total commercial vehicle sales fell 16 percent to 54,167 units.
- Total domestic sales rose 5 percent to 2.35 lakh units.
- Total exports rose 1 percent to 1.83 lakh units.
Hyundai Domestic Sales Fall 5.6 Percent To 42,502 Units In May
Hyundai Motor India said its domestic sales declined 5.6 percent in May this year to 42,502 units compared to 45,008 units in May 2018, the company said in a statement. However, the company's total sales (domestic and exports) grew by 5.5 percent helped by strong exports. Hyundai exported 16,600 units in May 2019 as against 11,008 units in the same month last year, an increase of 50.8 per cent.
Total sales stood at 59,102 units in May 2019 as compared with 56,016 units in the year-ago period, the statement said.
Hero MotoCorp Sales Falls 7.7 Percent In May
Hero MotoCorp May sales fell 7.7 percent year-on-year basis to 6,52,028 units. The company sold 7,06,365 units in May 2018. Sales for the motorcycle and scooter manufacturer though rose 13.5 percent sequentially in May. The sales rose above six-lakhs unit mark for the first time since February 2019. The company launched three premium motorcycles and two scooters in the month of May.