Sensex, Nifty End Little Changed; Metals, State-Run Lenders Shine
A Volatile Day Of Trade
Indian equities gave up gains from the early part of the trading day to end little changed as private banking stocks underperformed.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 50 points lower at 52,104 while the NSE Nifty 50 index ended unchanged from Monday's closing at 15,313.
After a 1,300 point surge on Monday, the Nifty Bank index saw some consolidation to end 200 points or 0.6% lower at 37,098.
Metal stocks were the biggest outperformers in today's session with the Metal index ending with gains of 2.9%. State-run banks were the other outperformers with the PSU Bank index ending 1.6% higher.
I.T. stocks were the biggest laggards in today's session, with the Nifty I.T. index ending with cuts of 1.5%.
Most other indices were little changed.
Broader Markets outperformed in today's session. The Nifty Midcap index gained 0.4% while the Small cap index ended 0.1% higher.
The India Volatility Index ended 1.4% higher at 21.78.
1,056 stocks on the NSE ended lower while 829 stocks posted gains.
Buzzing Stocks: HEG & Graphite India
- Top gainer on the Nifty Small cap index
- Gains as much as 18.3% - biggest single-day gain since September 2019
- Trades at the highest level since July 2019
- Today's volumes are triple its 20-day average
- Stock in overbought territory with Relative Strength Index (RSI) at 79
- Second best performer on the Nifty Small cap index
- Gains as much as 13.6% to Rs 495.9
- Trades at the highest level in two years
- Today's volumes are 63% its 20-day average
- Stock in overbought territory with Relative Strength Index (RSI) at 80
Varun Beverages Leads Losses On FMCG Index
What Aided Earnings Of Steelmakers
Benchmark Indices Give Up Gains But Trade Lower
- Nifty down 0.3% at 15,274
- Sensex down 0.4% at 51,963
- Nifty Bank down 1.2% at 36,846
- Nifty Midcap index little changed
- Nifty Small cap index down 0.2%
- India Volatility Index up 2% to 21.9
- Nifty Metal index remains the top sectoral gainer; up 2.8%
- Nifty PSU Bank index is the other major gainer; up 1%
- Nifty I.T. is the top sectoral laggard; down 1.6%
- Nifty FMCG index down 0.8% while Media index declines down 0.7%
- Power Grid is the top Nifty gainer; up 7.3%
- ICICI Bank is the top Nifty laggard; down 3.5%
- 733 stocks on the NSE trade with gains while 1,134 stocks are declining