Sensex, Nifty Drop Most In Two Months; India VIX Ends 15% Higher
- Oldest First
Biggest Drop In Two Months
Indian equities fell the most in two months on Monday, ending lower for the fifth straight session as a rise in active Covid-19 cases across the country dented sentiment.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 2.2% or 1,145 points lower at 49,744 while the NSE Nifty 50 index fell 2% or 300 points to end at 14,675.
All sectoral indices other than the Nifty Metal index ended lower in today's session. The Metal index also cooled off from the day's high to end with gains of 1.6%
The biggest laggard in today's session was the Nifty Media index, which fell 3.4%, led by multiplex players PVR and Inox Leisure. The Nifty I.T., Nifty Pharma, Nifty PSU Bank, Nifty Realty declined over 2.5% each in today's session while the Nifty Auto index fell 2.3%.
The Nifty Bank index fell 580 points or 1.6% in today's session to end at 35,257. The index si down over 2,500 points from its all-time high of 37,708.
Broader markets also ended lower, but the quantum of losses were lesser as compared to the benchmark indices. The Nifty Midcap index fell 1.3% while the Smallcap index declined 1.2% in today's session.
The India Volatility Index rose the most in two months, ending 14.5% higher at 25.47 - the highest level since July last year.
1,388 stocks on the NSE ended with losses while 561 bucked the trend to end higher.
How Did The Sectoral Indices Fare
Auto Index Down For The Third Day
Sonata Software At Record High
- Top gainer on the Nifty Small cap index
- Gains as much as 16.8% to Rs 467.6
- Biggest single-day gain since May 2014
- Up for the third straight day
- Today's volumes are 20 times higher than its 20-day average
- Stock in overbought territory with Relative Strength Index (RSI) at 71
- Five out of the eight analysts tracking the stock have a 'buy' recommendation
- The stock crossed its 12-month Bloomberg consensus price target of Rs 445.2 in today's session