Sensex, Nifty End Volatile Trading Day With Gains
Markets At Close
- Nifty ends 2.5 percent higher at 7,801
- Nifty April futures add 40 percent in Open Interest
- Sensex ends 2.67 percent higher at 26,674
- Nifty Bank ends 1.1 percent higher at 17,107
- Nifty Bank April futures add 36.2 percent in open interest
- Nifty Midcap ends with gains of 1 percent while Nifty Smallcap ends with cuts of 1 percent
- India Volatility Index ends 13.8 percent higher at 81.94, highest since November 2008
- All sectoral indices barring Nifty Realty (down 2 percent) end with gains
- 799 stocks end with gains while 987 stocks end with declines
- Infosys: Top Nifty Gainer with 14 percent gains - the most since January 2013
- M&M: Top Nifty loser down 8 percent - ends at 10-year low
Top Point Contributors On The Nifty
Closing Bell: Sensex, Nifty End With Gains
Indian equity markets ended the trading session with gains, though off the highest point of the day, tracking positive cues from European Markets and the Dow Futures which are currently trading at the day’s high.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 2.67 percent higher at 26,674, with gains of almost 700 points. 19 out of the 30 stocks ended the session with gains while 13 ended at a 52-week low.
The NSE Nifty 50 index ended with gains of 2.51 percent at 7,801. 35 out of the 50 constituents ended with gains while 17 of them ended at a 52-week low.
All sectoral indices barring the Nifty Realty index (down 2 percent), ended the session with gains. The Nifty Bank too recovered 1,000 points from the day's low to end with gains of 1.1 percent.
Market breadth remained almost equal with 799 stocks ending the day with gains while 987 stocks ended with declines.
Finance Minister Comments On Market Volatility
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that the regulators, Finance Ministry and the Reserve Bank of India are working together and monitoring the volatility in the Indian Markets.
The minister added that while market regulator SEBI has come out with norms to contain the short-term volatility, they are consciously monitoring the stock markets three-times a day.
Mahindra & Mahindra Lowest Since 2010
Shares of the automobile and farm equipment manufacturer are down for the eight in the last ten trading session. Prices have corrected 42 percent in the last ten trading sessions.
The stock had made a 52-week high of Rs 695.5 on April 16, 2019. Since then, it has corrected over 60 percent to Rs 268, which is the lowest level since May 2010.
The stock is the worst performing stock on the Nifty 50 today.
F&O Snapshot: Active Options Contract
Nifty: March 26 Expiry
- 8,000 Call: Premium up 51.2 percent to Rs 262.15. The contract has added 57,300 shares in open interest.
- 8,500 Call: Premium up 4.9 percent to Rs 79. The contract has added 69,000 shares in open interest.
- 7,500 Put: Premium falls 38 percent to Rs 204.70. The contact has added 5.8 lakh shares in open interest.
Nifty Bank: March 26 Expiry
- 20,000 Call: Premium falls 11 percent to Rs 174.95. The contract has added 19,720 shares in open interest.
- 18,000 Call: Premium rises 6.3 percent to Rs 589.35. The contract has added 20,520 shares in open interest.
- 19,000 Call: Premium falls 6.2 percent to Rs 294.80. The contract has added 6,260 shares in open interest.