Nifty, Sensex Close At New Records Led By Banks
Indian equity benchmarks rose to record highs for third day in a row led by gains and banking and finance shares.
The S&P BSE Sensex rose 0.7 percent or 251 points to 34,848.51 and the NSE Nifty 50 Index advanced 0.56 percent or 60 points to 10,41.55.
Mid-cap and small-cap stocks underperformed their large-cap counterparts as the S&P BSE MidCap Index fell 0.05 percent while the S&P BSE SmallCap Index rose 0.25 percent to 19,993.
Twelve out of 19 sector gauges compiled by BSE ended lower led by the S&P BSE Telecom Index's 1 percent drop. On the other hand, the S&P BSE Finance Index was the top sectoral gainer, up 1.65 percent.
Fab Four Stocks Of The Day
Bhansali Engineering Polymers: The Mumbai-based chemical maker was locked in 5 percent upper circuit at record high of Rs 209.10 after it reported December quarter earnings.
- Net Revenue up 110 percent to Rs 258 crore versus Rs 123 crore
- EBITDA margin more than doubled to 16.8 percent versus 7.4 percent
- Net Profit rose 850 percent to Rs 29 crore versus Rs 3 crore
Hathway Cables: Shares of the Mumbai-based cable TV service provider rose as much as 20 percent to Rs 48.70 after 36 lakh shares changed hands in a single block.
Butterfly Gandhimathi Appliances: The Chennai-based pressure cooker maker rose as much as 8.99 percent to record high of Rs 634 after well-known investor Ashish Kacholia and a few mutual funds bought stake in the company.
- IDFC MF bought 1 lakh shares or 0.6 percent equity at Rs 580 each.
- Ashish Kacholia bought 1.52 lakh shares or 0.9 percent equity at Rs 580 each.
- Standard Chartered MF bought 3 lakh shares or 1.7 percent equity at Rs 579.99 each.
- Reliance Alternative Invest Fund sold 8.5 lakh shares or 4.8 percent equity at Rs 580.67 each.
La Opala: The Kolkata-based maker of glass and glass products rose as much as 20 percent to record high of Rs 744 after the company informed stock exchanges that its board will consider bonus issue on Feb. 5.
- Indian equity benchmarks continued their record run led by gains in banking and finance shares.
- The S&P BSE Sensex rose 0.95 percent or 330 points to 34,920 and the NSE Nifty 50 Index advanced 0.73 percent or 78 points to 10,758.
- The mid-cap and small-cap shares were underperforming their large-cap peers as the S&P BSE MidCap Index was little changed while the S&P BSE SmallCap Index rose 0.4 percent.
- Overall breadth was positive as 1,634 stocks were advancing while 1,274 were declining.
- Twelve out of 19 sector gauges compiled by BSE were trading higher led by the S&P BSE Finance Index's 1.8 percent jump. On the other hand, the S&P BSE Auto Index was the top sectoral loser, down 0.8 percent.
Top Nifty Gainers
- ICICI Bank
- UltraTech Cement
- Zee Entertainment
- Ambuja Cements
Top Nifty Losers
- Eicher Motors
- GAIL India
- HCL Technologies
- Hero MotoCorp
IDBI Bank To Raise Rs 2,730 Crore Via Preferential Shares
Shares of the state-run lender rose over a percent to Rs 61.70 after the bank informed stock exchanges that it will be raising Rs 2,730 crore from government via preferential allotment of shares.