Sensex, Nifty Post First Weekly Advance In Eight
Markets At Close
- Benchmark indices end truncated week with double-digit gains
- Nifty ends 4.1 percent higher at 9,111
- Nifty futures end at a discount of 38 points
- Sensex ends 4.2 percent higher at 31,159
- Nifty Bank ends 5.1 percent higher at 19,913
- Nifty Midcap Index ends 3.3 percent higher
- Nifty Smallcap Index ends 3.8 percent higher
- India Volatility Index falls 5.1 percent to 49.56
- All Sectoral Indices end with gains
- Nifty Auto ends 10.5 percent higher, top sectoral gainer
- Nifty Bank, Nifty Metal, Nifty Pharma gain 5 percent
- Mahindra & Mahindra ends as top Nifty gainer; up 18 percent and posts biggest weekly advance on record.
- Hindustan Unilever ends as the top Nifty laggard; down 3.3 percent
- 1,516 stocks ended the day with gains while 294 ended with losses
Markets This Truncated Week
Closing Bell: Benchmarks End Truncated Week On A High
Indian markets defied all the uncertainty around the Covid-19 to register their best weekly advance since May 2009. It was also their first weekly gain in two months, with the last one being in February.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 4.23 percent higher at 31,159. 27 out of the 30 index stocks ended the day with gains. For the three-day truncated week, the index ended with gains of 13 percent.
The NSE Nifty 50 advanced 4.1 percent to end above the 9,000 mark. The index closed at 9,111 with 46 out of the 50 stocks registering gains. The Nifty too ended with gains of 12.9 percent for the week with all the constituents posting weekly gains.
Among sectoral indices, the Nifty Auto index was the top gainer, ending with gains of over 10 percent. The index saw its biggest one-day jump since September 2019 and the biggest weekly rise on record.
Among other indices, the Metal and Pharma index gained between 4-5 percent while the Nifty Bank ended with gains of 5 percent.
MFs See Outflows In March
Stocks Aiding The Nifty Gains
Stock Update: Avanti Feeds
- Among top 3 performers on the Nifty Smallcap index
- Gains as much as 15.5 percent to Rs 394.5
- Up for the fourth day in a row
- Gains 36 percent in four days
- Best four-day rally since June 2018
- Set for best weekly advance since May 2017
- Volumes are 1.5 percent higher than its 30-day average
- All four analysts covering the stock have a buy recommendation
- Return potential for the stock as per Bloomberg data at 75 percent
- Up 56 percent from its 52-week low of Rs 250 on March 24, 2020