Sensex, Nifty’s Biggest Single-Day Gain Since 2009
Markets At Close
- Benchmark indices gain the most since May 2009
- Nifty ends 8.8 percent higher at 8,792
- Nifty futures end at premium of 88.8 points
- Sensex ends 9 percent higher at 30,067
- Nifty Bank ends 10.5 percent higher, the most since May 2009 at 19,062
- Nifty Midcap Index ends 5.3 percent higher
- Nifty Smallcap Index ends 3.5 percent higher
- India Volatility Index falls 5.9 percent to 52
- All Sectoral Indices end with gains
- Nifty Pharma (Up 10.4 percent), Nifty FMCG (Up 8 percent) gain the most since May 2009
- Nifty Auto Index, up 9.4 percent, gains the most since September 2019
- Nifty Media, Nifty Metal gain 5.5 and 6.8 percent respectively
- IndusInd Bank ends as top Nifty gainer, up 25 percent
- All Nifty constituents end with gains
- 21 Nifty constituents end with gains of 10 percent and above
- 13 Nifty constituents end with gains between 5-10 percent
- 1,514 stocks end with gains while 331 end with losses
The Top 20 Nifty Gainers
What Aided Gains On The Nifty
Closing Bell: Strong Start, Stronger Finish
Indian equity markets began the truncated weak on a resounding note, staging their biggest one-day gain since May 2009.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended with gains of 8.9 percent at 30,041. All of the 30 constituents ended the day with gains while 14 of them gained over 10 percent.
The NSE Nifty 50 index too gained 8.7 percent to end at 8,792. All the 50 constituents of the index ended in the green, including Bajaj Finance and Finserv which traded with losses until the final hour of trade. 21 stocks ended with gains of 10 percent and above.
Among sectoral indices, all of them ended with gains led by the Nifty Bank (Up 10.3 percent) and Nifty Pharma (Up 10.2 percent). Nifty FMCG, I.T and Metal gained over 8 percent. Nifty Auto index too ended 9.6 percent higher.
1,516 stocks ended the day with gains while 329 bucked the trend to end with losses.
Stock Update: Granules India
The company's Unit V - a high potent API and finished formulations manufacturing facility in Vishakhapatnam has received the EU GMP approval. GMP stands for Good Manufacturing Practices.
The approval is valid for a period of three years, the company said in an exchange filing.
The facility was inspected in January 2020 for good manufacturing practices of API and Oral solid dosage.
Shares gained as much as 12.6 percent to Rs 158.6 on the National Stock Exchange.