Sensex, Nifty End Lacklustre Session With Third Day Of Gains
Markets At Close
- Benchmark indices end higher for the third straight day
- Nifty ends 0.44 percent higher at 9,106
- Nifty futures trade at a discount of 40 points
- Sensex ends 0.37 percent higher at 30,932
- Nifty Bank ends 0.6 percent lower at 17,735
- Nifty Midcap index ends 0.8 percent higher
- Nifty Smallcap index ends 0.6 percent higher
- India Volatility Index ends 7.8 percent lower at 33
- Nifty Bank ends as the top sectoral laggard; down 0.6 percent
- Nifty Auto ends as the top sectoral gainer; up 2.6 percent
- ITC ends as the top sectoral gainer; up 7.1 percent
- Bajaj Finserv ends as the top Nifty loser; down 3.6 percent
- 1,066 stocks on the NSE end with gains while 666 end with losses
How Did The Sectoral Indices Perform
Closing Bell: Flat Start, Flat Close
Indian equity markets ended higher for the third straight day. However, the gains were modest as compared to Tuesday and Wednesday. Investors chose to wait on the sidelines for further cues on opening up of the economy.
European markets continue to trade with losses while futures on the Dow Jones remain lower by 150 points.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 0.37 percent higher at 30,932 while the Nifty 50 index ended at 9,106, up by 0.44 percent.
Both the benchmarks have nearly erased losses for the week. As of close on Thursday, the Sensex is down 0.6 percent while the Nifty is 0.4 percent lower for the week.
Among sectoral Indices, the Nifty Bank emerged as the primary underperformer, ending 0.6 percent lower. Among the gainers, Nifty Auto and Nifty FMCG ended with gains of 2 percent while Nifty Media and Nifty Metal gained 1.5 percent each.
Stock Update: ITC
- Top gainer on the Nifty 50 index
- Gains as much as 8.4 percent to Rs 190.6
- Up for the fifth straight day
- Longest winning streak since March 2019
- Trades at the highest level in over a month
- Up 16 percent in the last 5 trading sessions
- Today's volumes are 1.9 times higher than its 30-day average
- Nearing its 100-Day Moving Average of Rs 196.9
Large Trade Alert: State Bank Of India
20.2 lakh shares of India's largest lender exchanged hands in a single large trade on the National Stock Exchange.
The deal took place at Rs 152.05, buyers and sellers of which remained unknown as per Bloomberg data.
Shares are trading 1 percent lower at Rs 151.90, their lowest level since February 2016.
Stock Update: Trent
- Among the top 10 best performers on the Nifty 500 Index
- Gains as much as 8.5 percent to Rs 459.5
- Up for the second straight day
- Has gained for two successive trading sessions for the first time in a month
- Has advanced only thrice in the last 14 trading sessions
- Up 12.5 percent in the last two sessions
- Today's volumes are 0.9 times higher than its 30-day average
- Made a 52-week low of Rs 362 on exactly the same day, last year (May 21, 2019)
- 12 out of the 15 analysts tracking the stock have a buy recommendation; 0 sell calls
- Return potential of the stock as per Bloomberg data is 21.8 percent