Sensex, Nifty Post First Weekly Fall In Three Weeks
How Did The Markets Fare This Week
The Nifty Underperformers
Closing Bell: First Weekly Loss In Three
Indian equity markets failed to sustain the momentum of the last two trading sessions, ending with losses not only for the day, but also for the week.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 1.68 percent lower at 31,327. For the week, the index was down 0.8 percent, its first weekly drop after gaining for back-to-back weeks for the first time in two months.
The NSE Nifty 50 too ended below the 9,200 mark at 9,154, down 1.7 percent. The index shed 1.5 percent for the week as well.
Largecap private banks were the principal laggards in today's trading session. HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank were among the top contributors to the index downside.
Among sectoral indices, Nifty Pharma was the only sectoral gainer, ending 1.4 percent higher. Nifty Realty was the top sectoral laggard, ending with losses of over 4 percent while the Nifty Bank, PSU Banking and the media index fell over 3 percent.
Market breadth was adverse with 1,247 stocks on the NSE ending with losses while 558 managed to hold on to gains.
Goldman Sachs Recommends Stocks For This Market Downcycle
Stock Update: Future Retail
- Up for the 10th straight day
- Locked in a 5 percent upper circuit at Rs 102.55
- Ninth successive upper circuit
- Longest winning streak since January 2017
- Up 62 percent in the last 10 sessions
- Today's volumes are 3 times higher than its 30-day average
- 6 out of the 8 analysts tracking the stock have a buy recommendation
- Return potential of the stock as per Bloomberg data is 287 percent