Sensex, Nifty Post Worst Ever March Despite Tuesday’s 3% Rise
Markets At Close
- Nifty ends 3.8 percent higher at 8,597
- Nifty futures end at 8,589; a discount of 8 points
- Sensex ends 3.6 percent higher at 29,468
- Nifty Bank ends 1.9 percent higher at 19,144
- Nifty Midcap Index ends with gains of 2.2 percent
- Nifty Smallcap Index ends with gains of 3 percent
- India Volatility Index falls 10.3 percent to 64.49; biggest one-day fall since January 9, 2020
- All sectoral indices end with gains
- Nifty FMCG, Nifty Metal index gain over 5 percent each
- Nifty I.T., Nifty Pharma gain 4 percent each
- BPCL ends as top Nifty gainer, up 13.5 percent - the most since November 2007.
- IndusInd Bank ends as top Nifty loser, down 15 percent
- 1,321 stocks ended with gains while 464 ended with losses
Stocks That Aided The Nifty's Gains
Closing Bell: Markets End Off Day's High
Indian benchmarks cooled off from the highest point of the day but ended with healthy gains in today's trading session.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 3.62 percent higher at 29,468. For the month, the index posted losses of 23 percent, its worst ever fall in the month of March.
The NSE Nifty 50 index too cooled off the day's high, ending the day with gains of 3.82 percent at 8,597. For the Nifty too, this was the worst ever decline in March, posting losses of 22 percent. Only four Nifty constituents reported monthly gains.
All sectoral indices ended off their day's high but managed to report gains, led by the FMCG and Metal index.
1,305 number of stocks ended the trading day with gains while 472 ended with losses.
Nifty FMCG: Top Sectoral Gainer
Gautam Shah's Take On The Current Market Scenario
Trading Ideas From Rahul Mohindar Of Viratech Software
- Buy TCS for target of Rs 1,960 and stop loss of Rs 1,750
- Buy ITC for target of Rs 187 and stop loss of RS 157