Sensex, Nifty Post Best Quarterly Advance Since 2009
Closing Bell: A Rangebound Session
Indian equity markets ended lower for the second day but capped their best quarterly return since 2009.
Both the S&P BSE Sensex and the NSE Nifty 50 index ended little changed after trading in a narrow range throughout the session.
The Sensex ended at 34,915 while the Nifty managed to hold on to the 10,300 mark, ending at 10,302.
Among the sectoral indices, the Nifty Auto index outperformed in today's session, ending with gains of 1.1%.
Among the laggards, the Nifty PSU Bank and the Nifty Media indices fell 1.7% each while the Nifty Pharma index fell 1.5%. The Nifty Realty index fell for the fifth day in a row.
Broader markets too ended flat. The Midcap index fell 0.2% while the smallcap index ended with losses of 0.6%.
The India Volatility Index ended 0.4% higher at 29.03.
Market breadth was in favour of the laggards. 1,020 stocks on the NSE ended with losses while 786 ended with gains.
Strong Traction In Cement Stocks
Buzzing Stocks: Parag Milk Foods
- Among the worst performers on the Nifty 500 index
- Falls as much as 9.8% to Rs 94
- Down for the third straight day
- Longest losing streak in a month
- Down 11% in the last three sessions
- CEO Venkat Shankar resigned on Monday with immediate effect
- Today's volumes are 2.3 times higher than its 30-day average
- Still remains 100% above its 52-week low of Rs 48.5 on March 19, 2020
- Seven out of the 10 analysts tracking the stock have a buy recommendation; 0 sell calls
- Return potential for the stock as per Bloomberg data is 110%
Earnings Reaction: Shalimar Paints Q4FY20
- Sales down 7% to Rs 83.43 crore
- Net loss narrows to Rs 22.3 crore from Rs 43.3 crore
- Ebitda loss flat at Rs 33.74 crore
- Resumed operations in a phased manner
- No significant impact on financials as on March 31, 2020
- Do not see any medium to long-term risks in ability to continue as a going concern
- Numbers are consolidated and compared on a year-on-year basis
Shares trade 3.7% lower at Rs 62.75, post the announcement.