Sensex, Nifty Scale New Peaks; Nifty Bank Adds Another 800 Points
Closing Bell: A Day Of New Records
Indian equity markets ended higher for the sixth straight day, and in the process, ending at record high levels.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 1.7% or 700 points higher at 42,597. It crossed its intraday record high of 42,273 in early trade and held on to gains since then.
The NSE Nifty 50 index too ended at a record high, ending 1.6% higher at 12,461. The index crossed its previous record of 12,430 in early trade and managed to hold above it, after a brief bout of volatility.
Nifty Bank was the top performing index for the session, ending another 800 points higher or 2.7%.
The Nifty Metal index was the other major sectoral gainer, ending 1.8% higher. The Nifty Realty and Nifty I.T. indices gained 1.5% each while the FMCG and PSU Bank index ended with gains of 1%.
The broader markets underperformed in today's session. The midcap index ended with gains of 0.9% while the Smallcap index gained 0.3%.
The India Volatility Index ended 1.6% lower at the mark of 20, at 20.17.
1,119 stocks on the NSE ended with gains while 729 stocks posted losses.
A Theory That Hurt Indian Investors
Why Are Shares Of Glenmark Declining
Markets At 2:15 P.M.
- Benchmark indices continue to trade near record high
- Nifty up 1.4% at 12,431
- Sensex up 1.4% at 42,490
- Nifty Bank up 2.3% at 27,412
- Nifty Midcap index up 0.4%
- Nifty Smallcap index up 0.1%
- India Volatility Index down 1.2% to 20.24
- Nifty Realty Index extends gains; up 1.8%
- Nifty Metal index up 1.4% while Nifty I.T., Nifty FMCG and Nifty PSU Bank index gained over 1%
- Divi's Laboratories remains the top Nifty gainer; up 4.3%
- 43 out of the 50 Nifty constituents are advancing
- Cipla remains the top Nifty laggard; down 3.3%
- 1,098 stocks on the NSE trade with gains while 721 are declining