December Auto Sales: Ashok Leyland Sales Fall 28%; Royal Enfield Sales Decline 13%
December Auto Sales Snapshot
Eicher Motors’ Royal Enfield Sales Fall 13%
Eicher Motors Ltd.’s Royal Enfield sales declined 13 percent to 50,416 units compared to December 2018, according to its exchange filing.
Key Sales Highlights (YoY):
- Models with engine capacity upto 350cc fell 11 percent to 47,788 units.
- Models with engine capacity over 350cc fell 41 percent to 2,628 units.
- Total exports fell 13 percent to 1,927 units.
Shares of the Royal Enfield parent fell as much as 1.9 percent to Rs 21,642.55.
Ashok Leyland Sales Fall 28%, Shares Gain
Ashok Leyland’s sales fell 28 percent year-on-year to 11,168 units in December, according to its stock exchange filing.
Key Sales Highlights (YoY)
- Domestic medium and heavy commercial truck sales fell 59 percent to 3,809 units.
- Domestic medium and heavy commercial bus sales rose 85 percent to 2,560 units.
- Total domestic medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales declined 40 percent to 6,369 units.
- Domestic light commercial vehicle sales fell 2 percent to 4,009 units.
- Total domestic vehicle sales fell 29 percent to 10,378 units.
Sales Including Exports (YoY)
- Total medium and heavy commercial truck sales fell 59 percent to 3,958 units.
- Total medium and heavy commercial bus sales rose 87 percent to 3,067 units.
- Total medium and heavy commercial vehicle sales fell 38 percent to 7,025 units.
- Total light commercial vehicle sales fell 1 percent to 4,143 units.
- Shares of the truck and bus maker rose as much as 1.7 percent to Rs 82.40 after the announcement.
Bajaj Auto's Sales Fall 3%
Bajaj Auto Ltd.'s sold 3 percent fewer vehicles in December 2019, compared to that last year, led by a slump in domestic motorcycle sales.
The two-wheeler maker sold a total of 336,055 units last month, compared to 346,199 units in December 2018.
- Domestic sale of motorcyles fell 21 percent to 124,125 units.
- Export of motorcycles rose 13 percent to 160,677 units.
- Domestic sale of commercial vehicles rose 26 percent to 29,038 units.
- Export of commercial vehicles fell 8 percent to 22,251 units.
- Total domestic sales fell 15 percent to 153,163 units.
- Total exports rose 10 percent to 182,892 units.
Shares of Bajaj Auto erased opening gains and fell as much as 0.7 percent to Rs 3,129.15 after the company announced its December sales data.
Tata Motors Sales Fall 14%
Tata Motors Ltd. on Wednesday reported a 13.8 percent decline in total sales to 46,903 units in December. The company had sold a total of 54,439 units in the same month last year.
Total domestic sales were down 12 percent at 44,254 units as compared to 50,440 units in December last year, it added. Passenger vehicle sales in the domestic market during the month stood at 12,785 units as against 14,260 units in the same month previous year, down 10 percent.
Similarly, Tata Motors reported 15 percent decline in total commercial vehicle sales at 34,082 units as against 40,015 units in the year-ago period.