Sensex, Nifty End Volatile Session With Minor Gains As Polls Start
Closing Bell: Sensex, Nifty End Volatile Session With Minor Gains As Polls Start
Indian equity benchmarks ended marginally higher after a volatile trade as the first phase of Lok Sabha elections began today.
The S&P BSE Sensex ended 0.06 percent higher at 38,607.01 and the NSE Nifty 50 ended at 11,596.70, up 0.11 percent. Both the benchmark indices fluctuated between gains and losses at least over 10 times in today’s trade. The broader market index represented by the NSE Nifty 500 Index ended 0.12 percent higher.
The market breadth, however, was tilted in favour of sellers. About 938 shares fell and 778 stocks advanced on National Stock Exchange.
Seven out of 11 sectoral gauges compiled by NSE ended lower, led by the NSE Nifty Metal Index’s 1.2 percent decline. On the flipside, the NSE Nifty Auto Index was the top sectoral gainer, up 0.53 percent.
Stocks Moving On Heavy Volumes
- Stock rose as much as 9.9 percent to Rs 320.90.
- Trading volume was more than 40 times its 20-day average.
Forbes & Co
- Stock rose as much as 4 percent to Rs 2,500.
- Trading volume was almost 14 times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 19.9 percent to Rs 68.20.
- Trading volume was almost seven times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 8.2 percent to Rs 129.20.
- Trading volume was almost five times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 9.9 percent to Rs 103.85.
- Trading volume was almost triple its 20-day average.
Block Deal Alert: Hindalco
About 10 lakh shares of Hindalco changed hands in a block deal, Blomberg data showed. Buyers and sellers were not known immediately.
Europe Market Check: Equities Trade Lower
European stocks edged lower as falls among basic resources and tech stocks outweighed a rise for banks, after minutes from the U.S. Federal Reserve’s latest policy meeting highlighted concerns around several uncertainties.
PVR Extends Gain, Shares At An All-Time High
Shares of PVR Ltd. extended gains for the second consecutive trading session to hit an all-time high.