Sensex Registers Its Longest Losing Streak In Over Three Months; Rupee Ends At Record Low
Countdown Live: Buzz In Dealing Rooms; Closing Strategies
Rupee Ends At Record Low
The Indian rupee erased early gains and traded near record low against the U.S. dollar.
Closing Bell: Sensex Registers Its Longest Losing Streak In Over Three Months
Indian equity benchmark Sensex closed over 600 points lower from day's high and clocked its longest losing streak in over three months.
The 31-stock index closed 0.86 percent lower at 38,312.52 and the NSE Nifty 50 Index closed below 11,600, down 0.84 percent.
The market breadth was tilted in favour of sellers. Ten out of 11 sectoral gauges compiled by NSE fell, led by NSE Nifty FMCG Index's 2.4 percent decline. On the flipside, NSE Nifty Media Index was the top sectoral gainer, up 0.5 percent.
Stocks Moving On Heavy Volumes
Network18 Media & Investments
- Stock rose as much as 15.3 percent to Rs 54.80.
- Trading volume was 20.6 times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 9.9 percent to Rs 42.65.
- Trading volume was 1.3 times its 20-day average.
Mishra Dhatu Nigham
- Stock rose as much as 13.1 percent to Rs 160.
- Trading volume was 4.6 times its 20-day average.
- Stock rose as much as 12.3 percent to Rs 94.65.
- Trading volume was 2.2 times its 20-day average.
- Stock fell as much as 9.4 percent to Rs 204.15.
- Trading volume was 1.2 times its 20-day average.
Europe Stocks Mixed With Italy In Focus
European equities were mixed, as investors weighed the impact from Italy after Fitch Ratings lowered its outlook on the country.
Torrent Pharma Surges To Record High
Shares of the drugmaker rose as much as 2.5 percent to hit a new all-time high at Rs 1,857.
The Relative Strenth Index was 82, indicating that the stock may be overbought, according to Bloomberg data. The scrip returned 32 percent so far this year compared to a 14.7 percent advance in the Sensex.