Effective Plastic Ban Needs Change In Consumer Behaviour, Says Jamshyd Godrej
Change in consumer behaviour is essential for an effective plastic ban, besides a legislation to ban its production and sale, according to Jamshyd Godrej, chairman of CII-Godrej Green Business Centre.
“It has become so endemic for people to use single-use plastic bags after their purchase that a change in consumer behaviour has become very critical,” Godrej told BloombergQuint in an interaction.
Here are the highlights of the interview:
On Environmental Footprint:
- Consumers and investors are increasingly turning their attention toward environmental footprint.
- A large number of companies now look at sustainability.
On Recyclable Materials:
- Increasing the use of recyclable and re-usable materials is key.
- Essential to understand the benefits of recycling and environmental stewardship.
- Recycling not only has economic benefits but also social benefits.
On Consumer Behaviour:
- Legislation and consumer behaviour have to go together.
- Paid plastic bags are not useful.
- A campaign with huge outreach required to influence consumer behaviour.
Watch the full interview here: