China’s ‘Negative List’ Adds Entry Limits to News Service Sector
(Bloomberg) -- Chinese regulators are seeking to impose more entry restrictions on the news services industry, as shown in an updated negative list for market entry.
Private capital are facing more barriers to enter the nation’s news publishing industry as China’s top economic planner published a revised 2021 negative list to seek public comment. Non-state funds are not allowed to engage in services including:
- News collection, editing and broadcasting businesses
- Investing in setting up and operating news organizations; operating pages, radio frequencies, channels, programs or social-media accounts of news organizations
- Live broadcast of events related to political views, public opinions or values
- Republishing news by foreign entities
- Forums or awards activities in the news media sector
In its 2020 negative list, China mainly set entry limits on Internet-based news services for non-state capital.
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.