Thunderstorms, light-to-heavy rain and hailstorms are expected to continue in north and central India, along with parts of the northeast, over the next 24 hours.
That may build into severe weather conditions in the northern and northwestern parts of the country as north-south trough is likely to shift eastwards over the next three days, according to a statement by the Ministry of Earth Sciences. A wave emerging from the eastern parts with low cyclonic intensity is expected to affect states of the southern peninsula over the next one week, it said. By May 13, a fresh disturbance is very likely to hit the western Himalayan region.
Under the influence of the above systems, widespread thunderstorm activity is very likely to occur, simultaneously over northwest, central, east, northeast and peninsular India from May 13.Ministry Of Earth Sciences
In the last 24 hours, parts of Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, and west Rajasthan witnessed thunderstorms and light-to-moderate rains. Some parts of Haryana, Chandigarh and Delhi were hit by shower-less thunderstorms. Dust storms hit a few places in east Rajasthan, Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh, with winds gusting up to 50-64 kilometre per hour. That rough weather conditions follow last week’s severe dust storms that killed nearly 100 people overnight as houses collapsed and trees and poles were uproot in Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Here’s the complete forecast for the next 24 hours:
- Thunderstorms, accompanied with squall and hail, very likely at isolated places over Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- Thunderstorms, along with squall, very likely at isolated places over Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi, west Uttar Pradesh and sub-Himalayan West Bengal, and Sikkim.
- Thunderstorms, coupled with gusty winds, very likely at isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura, Bihar, west Madhya Pradesh, east Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, coastal and south Interior Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- Heavy rain very likely at isolated places over Tamil Nadu, south interior Karnataka and Kerala.
- Hot weather condition likely over Maharashtra, with heat wave conditions at one or two pockets over Vidarbha.