ITC’s Sanjiv Puri To Lead 15th Finance Commission’s Panel On Agri Reforms
The 15th Finance Commission has formed a panel to suggest measures to increase farm productivity and incentivise states to boost agricultural exports.
The committee—chaired by Sanjiv Puri, chairman and managing director of ITC Ltd.—will help the 15th Finance Commission prepare its report for 2021-22 to 2025-26 and suggest reforms in the agriculture sector, according to a government statement.
The committee will also comprise:
- Former Agriculture Secretary Radha Singh
- Suresh Narayanan, chairman and managing director, Nestle India Ltd.
- Jay Shroff, chief executive officer at UPL Ltd.
- Sachin Chaturvedi, director general of Research and Information Systems for Developing Countries
- Sanjay Sancheti, country manager, Olam Agro India Ltd.
- Chairman of Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority, or APEDA
- A representative of the Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries
The terms of reference of the panel, according to the 15th Finance Commission’s statement, will include:
- Assessing export and import substitution opportunities for Indian agricultural products
- Suggest ways to step up exports and reduce import dependence.
- Recommend measures to increase farm productivity.
- Enable higher value addition.
- Ensure waste reduction.
- Strengthen logistics infrastructure.
- Identify the impediments for private sector investments in the agricultural value chain and suggest policy measures and reforms that would help attract investments.
- Suggest performance-based incentives to state governments for the period 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- Accelerate reforms in the agriculture sector.
The panel will have to submit its recommendations to the NK Singh-led commission within three months.