India Effects Major Bureaucratic Reshuffle Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
India effected a major bureaucratic reshuffle Sunday, by appointing Tarun Bajaj as the economic affairs secretary, and extending health secretary Preeti Sudan’s term by three months amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, among others.
Bajaj—a 1988 batch IAS officer and currently the additional secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office—will succeed Atanu Chakraborty as he retires on April 30, according to a government order.
Sudan, on the other hand, was due to superannuate on April 30. She will now continue to function as the secretary of the Department of Health and Family Welfare during the three-month period. Her extension assumes significance as the number of Covid-19 cases in India exceeded 26,000, killing more than 800.
Besides, Rajesh Verma, currently the special secretary at the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, has been appointed as secretary of Ministry of Corporate Affairs from May 31, the order said. He will succeed Injeti Srinivas, who oversaw implementation of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, as he superannuates next month-end.
Amit Khare, currently the secretary of higher education, has been given additional charge of Information and Broadcasting Ministry. He had earlier headed the I&B ministry. Ravi Mittal, the current secretary of the broadcasting ministry, has been moved to the Department of Sports.
More IAS Appointments
- Tarun Kapoor, vice-chairman of Delhi Development Authority has been appointed as secretary at the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas from April 30. Current Petroleum Secretary MM Kutty superannuates on April 30.
- Nagendra Nath Sinha, current secretary of Border Management, has been appointed as secretary of Department of Rural Development.
- Sudhanshu Panday, additional secretary at the Department of Commerce, has been appointed as the secretary of Department of Food and Public Distribution.
- Pradip Kumar Tripathi, special secretary at the Department of Personnel and Training, has been appointed as steel secretary from May 31 after Binoy Kumar superannuates.
- Leena Nandan, special secretary at the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, has been appointed as secretary at the Department of Consumer Affairs. This came as the incumbent head Pawan Kumar Agarwal was appointed as special secretary (logistics) at the Department of Commerce.
- Bidyut Bihari Swain, additional secretary at the Department of Commerce, has been promoted as special secretary.