Dharavi Records 11 New Covid-19 Cases, Total Tally At 28
Dharavi reported 11 new cases of Covid-19 on Friday as the highly contagious pathogen spreads through the cramped lanes of Asia’s most crowded slum.
There are now 28 positive cases of Covid-19 in Dharavi, Kiran Dighavkar, assistant commissioner in charge of the G/North Ward in Central Mumbai said. This includes three people who’ve died till date.
A 29-year-old female tested positive from Dharavi Main Road, said Dighavkar. She is the wife of a 35-year-old doctor who had tested positive last week.
Another man from PMGP colony tested positive, Dighavkar said. The age of the patient is not known yet. The other positive cases include a 27-year-old male in Muslim Nagar, a 31-year-old female in Kalyanwadi and a 51-year-old male from Murugan Chawl.
Six more cases were recorded in the evening, added Dighavkar.
Of these, five were from the Mukund Nagar where a health camp was conducted by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation yesterday. “These five cases include one 40-year-old female, two 36-year-old males and two males aged 33 and 30 years.”
A 26-year-old man tested positive from the Rajiv Gandhi Nagar Chawl, Dighavakar said.
“Investigation to trace high-risk contacts is in progress,” Dighavkar added.
Dharavi—a sprawl of shanties spread over 240 hectares, has a population of 8.5 lakh and over 13,000 small businesses—recorded its first death linked to the pandemic on April 1, second on April 8 and third on April 9.
Total Cases In Dharavi So Far: 28
- Dr. Baliga Nagar: Five — A 30-year-old woman, her father and brother, who are now undergoing treatment. Another 55-year-old man tested positive on Thursday. The area has recorded one death.
- Dharavi Main Road: Two — A 35-year-old doctor and his 29-year-old wife are undergoing treatment.
- Mukund Nagar Slum: Nine — A 49-year-old man and his 25-year-old son are undergoing treatment. A 58-year-old male and 30-year-old man tested positive on Thursday. 5 more tested positive on Friday evening.
- 60 Feet Road: One — A 21-year-old male lab technician is under treatment.
- Dhanwada Chawl: One — A 35-year-old man tested positive and under treatment.
- Muslim Nagar: Two — A 50-year-old female who tested positive is under treatment. 27-year-old male tested positive today.
- Social Nagar: One — A 64-year-old man, who was tested positive, died at KEM Hospital.
- Janta Society: Two — A couple (59-year-old male and 49-year-old female) undergoing treatment.
- Kalyanwadi: Two — A 70-year-old woman died at KEM Hospital and a 31-year-old female tested positive today.
- PMGP Colony: One — A male patient is tested positive today and is undergoing treatment
- Murugan Chawl: One — A 51-year-old male has tested positive today.
- Rajiv Gandhi Nagar Chawl: One — A 26-year-old male tested positive this evening.
On Friday, Mumbai recorded 212 new coronavirus patients which took the total number of Covid-19 cases in the city to 993, PTI reported citing BMC data. However, figures released by the Maharashtra government's health department showed that the city recorded 132 new cases.