Dharavi Records 15 New Covid-19 Cases, Total Tally at 43
The new coronavirus pandemic has so far infected 43 people in Dharavi as the highly contagious pathogen spreads through the cramped lanes of Asia’s most crowded slum.
Dharavi recorded 15 new cases on April 12, of which nine are quarantined in Rajiv Gandhi Sports Complex, said Kiran Dighavkar, assistant commissioner in charge of the G/North Ward in Central Mumbai. “All these nine cases are high-risks contacts of patients who had tested positive earlier.” Four new cases are reported from Shastri Nagar slum and two from Janta Society, Dighavkar said.
Of these 15 new patients, two are females of age 20 and 24 years. The remaining 13 male patients are aged between 18 years and 66 years.
Dharavi—a sprawl of shanties spread over 240 hectares, has a population of 8.5 lakh and over 13,000 small businesses—recorded its first death linked to the pandemic on April 1 and second on April 8, third on April 9 and fourth on April 11. The total tally of Covid-19 cases in Mumbai’s biggest slum includes the four deceased.
Total Cases In Dharavi So Far: 43
- Dr. Baliga Nagar: Five — A 30-year-old woman, her father and brother are undergoing treatment. Another 55-year-old man tested positive on Thursday. The area has recorded two deaths.
- Dharavi Main Road: Two — A 35-year-old doctor and his 29-year-old wife are undergoing treatment.
- Mukund Nagar Slum: Nine — A 49-year-old man and his 25-year-old son are undergoing treatment. A 58-year-old and a 30-year-old men tested positive on Thursday. Five more tested positive on Friday evening.
- 60 Feet Road: Two — A 21-year-old male lab technician is under treatment and one case of a high-risk contact recorded on Sunday.
- Dhanwada Chawl: One — A 35-year-old man tested positive and is under treatment.
- Muslim Nagar: Five — A 50-year-old female, who was tested positive for the virus earlier, is under treatment. A 27-year-old male tested positive on Sunday. Three new high-risk contacts of the previous case recorded on Sunday.
- Social Nagar: Six — A 64-year-old man, who was tested positive, died at KEM Hospital. Five risk-contacts of the deceased tested positive.
- Janta Society: Four — A couple (59-year-old male and 49-year-old female) is undergoing treatment. Two new cases recorded on Sunday.
- Kalyanwadi: Two — A 70-year-old woman died at KEM Hospital and a 31-year-old female tested positive on Sunday.
- PMGP Colony: One — A male patient is tested positive on Sunday and is undergoing treatment.
- Murugan Chawl: One — A 51-year-old male tested positive on Sunday.
- Rajiv Gandhi Nagar Chawl: One — A 26-year-old male tested positive.
- Shastri Nagar Slum: Four: Four new cases recorded on Sunday.
On Saturday, BMC began the screening of Dharavi residents for Covid-19 symptoms.
According to Maharashtra health ministry’s latest media bulletin on Saturday, 187 new cases of Covid-19 were reported in the state, taking the total tally at 1,761. Total number of cases in Mumbai stand at 1,146.